Gatlinburg fires

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Nov 28, 2016.

1. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Did they do it maliciously, or were they being typical teenage boys in the woods with a book of matches?

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is kind of where I'm at. I need to know more, because my buddies and I burned a lot of stupid shit in the woods, the backyard, the fire pit, fireplace, wherever.

Also interested in the evidence as well.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wonder. Seems highly unlikely to be malicious, but I'm not sure how much that matters legally. Those folks and structures are just as burned either way.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I set a city park on fire when I was younger. I didn't kill anyone, but I can say this... it wasn't hard to accidentally do.

5. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Set my driveway on fire, covered the entire thing with gasoline.

Whoa on city park.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is where I struggle, too. I've personally done many, many things (definitely hundreds, likely thousands) that not only could have lead to similarly and terribly tragic resutls, but easily, and probably should have destroyed property and/or gotten myself and others greatly harmed or even killed. God, looking back at some of the indefensibly stupid shit that I've done, and without one whit of thought being given to whatever terrible end it could cause, I'm equal parts embarrassed and amazed that I was blessed - better, blind-assed lucky - enough to have somehow and incredibly avoided it.

I didn't burn large swaths of forest, cause massive evacuations and widespread destruction, or lead to serious injury or death - and I'm certainly not advocating that either stupidity or juvenile hijinx is in any way a suitable reason or excuse for having caused it, intentionally or not - but it's not hard for me to see how differently and badly things could have gone for me, in things that I've done.

So, I don't know who these juveniles are, what they did and intended, or what malicious intent may have existed, but I hope that each will treated justly, even as justice must be done, and for all involved.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well said.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. We must be wary of seeking revenge instead of justice (though the line between both is thin imho).

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm guessing if they are being held, there's enough evidence to say this wasn't an "oops". Considering where it was started, I feel less and less likely that it was an oops.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea. Pine straw man. Whoosh.

11. CardinalVol

a 16 and 17 year old from Anderson county.

Feds declined to prosecute because they were juveniles.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Vols to wear the Smoky Gray unis in the MCB to honor the victims... Not sure how I feel about that. I appreciate the sentiment of course but...

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You serious? Ugh.

14. Savage Orange

Maybe if they auction them off to raise money it would make it less..... Is inappropriate the word I'm looking for here?

15. CardinalVol

I'm ok with it. The team has spent a lot of time helping and this was a players decision to show their support and raise awareness.

As for auctioning, I'd buy Barnetts.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Saw he was number 6 on a draft board the other day.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's going to make a franchise very happy

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

They'd need AA permission to auction jerseys or anything else.

Fornette got permission last year to auction his USC game worn jersey off for South Carolina flood victims. The AA tweeted permission, IIRC.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Smart. Claim you were hacked and then sue the shit out of him.

20. Savage Orange

Just found out an older couple that lives here in my town in Georgia are among the 14 dead... They had a cabin there that was a vacation place. I didn't know them but it's sad all the same....