Gatlinburg fires

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Nov 28, 2016.

1. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

They are down here I Dalton and get their news out of Atlanta

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just hope the [itch bay] from asheville is fired over this.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Go on...

4. CardinalVol

Reporter from one of the stations over there was just a major [itch bay] at one of the press conferences last week. Very rude and trying to pin the blame on the city/County.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yep. I heard that live.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

She apparently didn't/doesn't understand that once something like that begins, it's hard to stop. Especially when it's coming down the mountains.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, once it has begun, it is going to take a change in conditions. The real solution was not having the forest back right up to structures and the cities, but folks think that looks ugly.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The park spokesperson kept saying the scientists they had said this was an "unpredictable" event, and extremely unlikely because the park is a temperate rainforest. She and her scientists need to understand that something can be both "unpredictable" and "inevitable." That forest naturally burns every 7 to 14 years, if people aren't putting out fires. Fire suppression leads to higher fuel buildup. Not only was this inevitable, it will happen again in 50 to 100 years. Just a matter of the right conditions showing up with a high amount of fuel.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Everglades burn all the time, at the visitors center they even say it's part of a necessary process, if I remember correctly.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly. Fire is a natural part of every ecosystem.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Oh, her. I didn't know where she was from. I think she got fired.

Some folks I've read have praised her, as they seem to think there's more answers out there.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sending fire fighters against a wall of fire whipped up with 80 mph winds would be murder. And if they started bulldozing a fire line that included homes, the public would be outraged beyond measure.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

So the tweets are fake and the dude didn't apologize for saying what he said?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, assholes are real. Acting like they're spokespersons for large groups, such as liberals, is dumb. Its confirmation bias silliness.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, I'm sure some of the victims were liberals. I certainly don't want my home state to burn. Surely you don't believe this is more than fringe wackos.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's a year for the fringe to show their asses.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

19. CardinalVol

I'm not sure a fire line would have helped.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think it's more than just how they reacted to the actual fire. It's what they knew about it, when they knew about and how they did or did not react to it in the sense of alerting the citizens.