Hilary campaigning on a far left platform

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Apr 22, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You are correct. And we don't have millions of farmers moving into cities to get jobs anymore, either. Apples and oranges. Just perhaps my irrational fears, but I do fear completely open markets would lead to more boom/busts that plagued us pre-1932. But I am sure that you will be able to assuage those fears as well!

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm fully in favor of fed involvement in the economy which has leveled out many of the booms and busts. but booms and busts are part of human nature and will never go away and trying to control them too much can easily stifle growth (see france, spain, England). in the end we need to limit barriers to entry as much as possible and try to stay out of the way. the warren solution has been proven to not work. one of the major reasons why the US is still king is because we are still less regulated than most of the rest of the world as amazing as that might be.

3. NorrisAlan

Is Biden going to pull a Cheney and just not bother running?

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

whoa. How is Hillary's shilling for the hands off press coverage and loony left any different? The oodles of money she can raise in that space is more than the Koch's would even consider talking about. The left's billionaires and grassroots stupidity (stealing from poor people on the promise of more gov't cheese) are every bit as insidious and loony as the right might be.

Let's can them both and move toward minimalist government with some fiscal restraint. Let the idiots on the fringes uselessly shout at each other as the smaller gov't rightly ignores social policy.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Wait, you aren't going to pass off Rome's fall mainly on their financial policies are you?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have to think the party is going to strongly encourage him not to run.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Why do you think I constantly shill for guys like Chris Christie and John Breaux? The extremes should be sent to a small area of the country where they can incessantly debate their equally idiotic philosophies while the rest of the country is left to the saner set.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

of course it was. All the rest was crap. Societal decay is about opinion. Rome's coffers were the problem.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, it certainly fits your narrative, but economic issues were most assuredly not the only, possibly not even the main, cause of Rome's downfall. I will agree that social decay is baloney, including the idea that Christianity destroyed Rome.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It worked. They aren't very many sewing factories around any more.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never argued that. You read so much into my posts that isn't there.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does that include slavery? Indentured servitude?

Before BPV or someone says I am calling minimum wage salary slavery, that is not what I am saying. I am saying slavery could be freely entered into between two adults, and asking if that is acceptable to Volst53 as well. Just preemptively clarifying.

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

A valid contract must be in accordance with laws, so no it can't include slavery.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he said "free to enter." are there a lot of people freely entering into slavery?

16. NorrisAlan

Yeah, I would think by definition slavery is a coerced exchange. However, I could see people entering into indenture. And I do believe that should be illegal, same as price gouging, loan sharking, etc. You would be preying on those most desperate, willing to do anything.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How can one freely enter into slavery?

I have no issue with indentured servitude, and if you want to work for wildlife or a bunch of other agencies for the government without any connections, they don't either.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the cost of food getting to the point of the gov't being unable to provide for the needy absolutely killed Rome. The rest of the issues were all manageable with money.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

if you mean labor in exchange for room, board and such, it should absolutely be available between consenting adults.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm telling you that it ended nothing. Wasn't that the question?

You're trying to say that min wage set a living wage standard. I'm saying it didn't, hasn't and will not.