How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't think there's a miracle fix to the problem Dobbs has. But my real problem with what you said is that it feels like you're just throwing names out there. Kiffin is going to use Dobbs in his offense? Almost guarantee Dormady starts if Kiffin is our OC.

Either way, there's no way for me to refute your claim. I certainly think Dobbs could benefit from having a good QB coach, but I don't think anyone's going to magically fix his accuracy issues.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That could be said about almost every argument made here.

Explain why a QB coach or OC that's previously helped develop a QB wouldn't have done a better job with Dobbs than the guys that helped Worley and Peterman to play like crap?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

UGA's defense has more talent than Tennessee's defense.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, the coaches cannot play on the field. That is a fact. But why is it that some teams with certain coaches continually Botch things up? Bad fumbles, bad penalties, bad angles on tackles, crashing when they should be containing, etc? Sure, the coach (and fans) can say "Hey, I called the play, if they did it right it would have been ok."

But why does it seemingly happen to the same guys all the time? Late in Fulmer's career, his teams looked undisciplined and out of sorts. "Fulmer didn't suddenly forget how to coach, so I am sure he is calling the right plays!"

Yes, but it stopped working. And where does that all fall on? That is right, the guy making a small mint while his players are making squat.

Just a quick note, I think there have been 5 pages now of arguing over whether this color is turquoise in color or aqua in color. Most people here think Jones is a complete buffoon and that we would be significantly better than 4-4 if we had a half-decent coaching staff, including Indy and KPT.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Link?

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Saw it played once, interesting game.

7. NorrisAlan

ESPN's FPI poll had us at 12.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gruden is a pocket passer guy, but did just fine with Randall Cunningham. The best OCs adjust to the best available option. We make Justin Worley run the read option in the same season we decide Josh Dobbs should throw 40+ times in his first start as a true freshman.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Don't throw 20 yard out routes. Base everything off of play action. Use quick easy throws over the middle after your pretty good (even though it's a really stupid design) run game gets going.

Kiffin took Crompton, a guy who couldn't read a defense to save his life, and made him a decent collegiate qb. He had Blake Simms playing well. Dobbs is better than Simms.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They picked Tennessee to go 10-2 in a the pre season. It's on the sec network

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

You obviously don't watch TV.

Marcus Spears was another. Heck Herstreit picked us to win the east.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

11 now

13. NorrisAlan

Have you ever listened to Erik Ainge talk about how Cut came in and made him into a real quarterback?

Kiffin did a Lazarus on Crompton and got the sum[itch bay] drafted.

A good QB coach would make Dobbs exponentially better. Will he ever be a Dan Marino? Of course not, but he could be closer to Tebow or Manziel or Winston.

14. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Technically Indy said unbiased, and as everyone knows ESPN hates us.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You have to look at the context to understand what that poll is really saying.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This coaching staff literally goes against all common sense on the offensive side of the ball.

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Workin their craft with leverage

18. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

leveraging mediocrity

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can't respond to multiple massive conversations today. You guys win. Waving the white flag.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

there's just a level of ineptitude that can't be overlooked. Even Dooley wasn't doing things this stupid. Dooley had no RBs, a decent but stupid QB and good WRs so he threw it a lot, but it made sense. The design of the passing game, being so deep so often with limited protection was crazy as hell, but wasn't just completely stupid. They were trying to take advantage of Bray's arm and accuracy and praying his head wouldn't kill us. At least there was some big picture thought to the program. You can see Chaney now morphing at Pitt into a more dink and dunk type with Peterman at the helm because it fits him.

Butch and Co are simply incapable of recognizing that strategy has to fit the capability of the team. They'd rather keep hammering on the square peg.