How bad are we underachieving?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

I'm sure the rest of the SEC will tread water and wait for Lyle to finish his on-the-job training and get his coaching GED.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

we have literally made the worst hire in the conference and the worst imaginable for UT for something like 6 hires in a row. We've hire the worst of all the potential candidates in football twice in a row. We seriously couldn't do that on purpose.

3. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That isn't really unusual in coaching circles, and all the people who think Butch is the worst coach in America should remember that. He isn't; far from it. He is a really good salesman and recruiter (which I think is more than half of college coaching, anyway,) a good motivator, and an average x and o guy. He has surrounded himself with average x and o guys.

It is easy to overestimate the median of college coaches; most are just not very good. I think Butch is average because the average isn't very good, and he has recruited very well--top tier. That means he won't ever win shit in the SEC, but that's the way I feel about it, anyway.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He has, at the very least, proven to be a choke artist. At least up to this point.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

But UT doesn't care about the average when it's playing in the best conference in America. He might as well be compared to HS coaches too, where he'll still be average.

Honestly, find me anyone who mismatches players with scheme as badly, plays the wrong guys, declines crazy 2nd down penalties...you get it, the list is long. I genuinely don't know any major college coach this bad.

Oh, and exactly one coach in my lifetime didn't recruit exceptionally well at UT and he was a lazy arrogant POS. Even Fulmer recruited well after he joined the post title celebratory tour for a decade.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That DAJ guy on VN has a chart that says Lyle is all over the mark. He was supposed to lose.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's ridiculous.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im not sure that graph will ever have UT in a position to win a title.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I wish you would just open up ONE time and let us know how you really feel. Enough of this wishy washy stuff!

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I agree. An average coach nationally playing in the SEC is probably 12th out of 13 holding that job right now. Average with UT"s recruiting advantages over, say, Miss St, gets you to 4-4/8-4, which sucks. This is why taking a flyer on a guy who might be decent from Cincinnati is stupid. Average is actually worse than terrible in some ways. Terrible usually stems from risk taking because you want to be good, and terrible works itself out pretty quickly. Terrible is Muschamp at Florida. Average usually stems from a lack of risk taking because you just don't want to suck, and it is harder to remedy. Who fires a guy that goes 9-3? Average is why UGa is stuck where they are right now.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We have top 15 talent, and better talent than all but 1 team on the schedule.

And Botch is in year 3 of his tenure.

13. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

It's ridiculous to give the trumpet player a six year contract up front, and then add 2 years after he's done nothing. Give a coach a 3 year contract with a huge buyout on his end. If both parties are happy at the end of 3 years, then sign him up for another 3 years.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Clearly you don't understand the process

15. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

<---------- not a true fan

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

@SethStokesTSE: CBJ: If you look at the course of a long football season, no one plays a perfect game

17. RockyHill

@WBIRSports: "I want to tighten our overall focus and mentality. It's a lot different when you play at home." -Butch says they'll eliminate distractions

Just, I mean, what the f**k. How does he not get crucified for saying this stuff. I don't have the ability to review every press conference ever by a head football coach. But even given that, I think it's a very safe bet we have the dumbest coach ever.

18. RockyHill

@SethStokesTSE: Dobbs: As a player we just have to focus on what we can control

Translation: Our coach has the intelligence of a dog and I'm doing my best guys.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Careful, don't insult our canine friends

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean, the guy was a lucky fumble away from blowing a fourth big lead. This time against a team that won't make a bowl. How dare he act like he is getting unfair questions from the media? He screwed up a dominating performance for the fourth time in nine games and Malik Foreman bailed him out.