I Have Found the Perfect VN Post.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Sep 16, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be Possibility 2.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I guess I could. Do you like pseudocode as well? Or is the flowchart the better option?

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Good point.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Two paths diverged in the woods, and I took the one which burnt the world down.

OrangeBlood79 likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This made me chuckle.

6. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I'd wrap up...out of respect, of course.

I honestly was not aware that there was a gap between Saban's tenure and Dantonio--I thought he took over directly after Saban...thus illustrating my overall lack of knowledge (and care) of the MSU football program.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I got big feet. But I think I can do it.

Let's first start by pointing out that this will be a separate discussion from "winning big." The parameters of "winning big" are relative (Involnerable et al 2014) and subjective some extent. So don't switch it up on me midstream.

So: the argument for Saban rescuing the program from oblivion.

Firstly, when I say "oblivion," I mean be relegated to an "also ran" in the conference. Being a middling to less than middling nobody.

MSU had a good run 4 years prior to Saban, but before that hadn't had a solid streak of 4 or more years of bowl eligibility in 40 years. They were seen as a "good" team that would go to a bowl every few years, and rarely a good one. Meanwhile, rival Michigan was rolling as a top 10 team most years.

When Perles left, he did so in disgrace at the time (now he's on the BoT, go figure) due to an academic scandal involving players' grades. The program had stagnated.

Enter Saban. Saban immediately knocks of rival top 10 Michigan, and gets them to a bowl. Boom. The perception of the trajectory and ceiling of the program completely changes both in the fan base and nationally as Michigan State continues to be competitive and do well while playing very stiff competition. This culminates in Saban delivering the second double digit win season in school history in 1999, the first since 1965.

Yes, the next two coaches failed to have much success, but the potential of the program was now known. The evidence for this is that Williams was fired after only 3 seasons and Smith after 4. MSU expected upward trajectory like they consistently had with Saban, and accepted nothing else.

And who do they hire? Saban's former DB's coach, Dantonio. No Saban, no expectations. No Saban, no Dantonio.

I think that was pretty decent for a guy who doesn't know much about MSU.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

[video=youtube;RlUO-7m9RuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlUO-7m9RuA[/video]

9. OrangeEmpire

[video=youtube;HvrRvUYRdD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrRvUYRdD8[/video]

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oblivion might be too strong. Irrelevance might work better. I would say he got them through sanctions, then guided to them to their second 10 win season ever. Then indirectly rescued them again by training the guy that got them out of the JL Smith funk.

JL Smith was the guy that inspired the awesome sports talk radio meltdown where the host was literally crying he was so angry. It was great stuff.

11. OrangeBlood79

There's obviously a large portion of context that I'm missing here because, specifically speaking about "winning big", I agree, six wins is not a lot. It all goes back to my post regarding the "long view" versus setting a set timeframe for evaluating the success/forecasting the success of a coach...I prefer the long view but also have to take each situation individually and evaluate the circumstances on their own.

12. OrangeBlood79

OE, this is starting to become a trend with you...

Oh my God...how could I have forgotten JLS???

13. OrangeEmpire

Uh oh..........what did I do?

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Pseudocode for me, please.

15. OrangeEmpire

Any chance you'd change your avatar to Lore?

16. OrangeBlood79

...made me realize Butch's "on bended knee" comparison to the General.

Ignorance was bliss, OE. Bliss.

17. OrangeEmpire

Man...............I was having a good day.

:mad:

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

If you can conjure up a DFD with a gantt, I'll have your children.

19. OrangeBlood79

Now you know how I felt...

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Holy hell, I'm lost.

So anyone with an alter see any good and terrible posts from VN lately?