I Have Found the Perfect VN Post.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If I were on VN, I'd be quoting some of these posts, there.

Take it as you will.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Huh? I posted a focking wikipedia table showing coaching years and winning percentages, which shows how abysmal MSU was between '99 and '07. I'm not certain what could possibly be considered more germane to my point.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

3. kidbourbon

4. kidbourbon

I think it was a strong effort.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, it wasn't like a walk-off home run, but it was probably worth an orange slice and Capri Sun after getting sent to the bench.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it ignored the trends. That silliness would have supported Fulmer for another 10 years. The trend lines in those coaching tenures was more germane than gross w / l totals, which were useless. Ignoring the falloff of the conference didn't help you either. Again, I don't care that you posted stats. Post more. A wikipedia chart of likelihood of rain in East Lansing over the period would have been equally informative.

7. kidbourbon

Again, what in the hell are you talking about? My point needed trends in winning percentages for MSU for the years 2000 and 2006? Huh? How exactly would that have better supported my point (which was, in case you're confused, that the full seven season gap, and the terrible football teams that occupied said gap, render a statement to the effect that "Saban laid the foundation for Dantoni" certifiably silly). What exactly would a trendline do to strengthen that point? I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

Are you *really* suggesting that if I would have posted that Bobby Williams went 5-6, 7-5, and 4-8 in 2000, 2001, and 2002, respectively, that my "laid foundation = nonsense" point would have been stronger than it currently is? I mean, are you *actually* making a claim that that's a substantively better option than posting that his record was 16-17 between 2000-2002? If so, please elaborate. And not with some noise about Fulmer.

Or maybe this is some kind of practical joke? Is Ashton Kutcher about to bust in my room because I'm getting "Punk'd"? Or worse yet, Zapped?*

*http://www.cc.com/video-clips/7uh3vw/chappelle-s-show-zapped---uncensored

8. kidbourbon

But you were given a wiffle ball bat. You performed admirably.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yes, you needed trends as you were trying to support rising and falling fortunes with coaching changes. Gross totals covering several seasons don't do a single damn thing to address ebbs and flows. Taking over for a fired coach, as Saban did, and rising to wins and bowls, while sporting a .500 winning percentage is radically different than taking over for a guy who was winning, transitioning to losing and sporting a similar .500 winning percentage.

Your year over year piece would have helped more. Had you laid them out that way and they supported your point, it would have been of value. Any sort of context around magnitude of rise or fall, rather than just blind averages could have helped. We know there was a dropoff in every tenure save Saban, because those guys got fired. That delta is important in this debate. The Fulmer analogy is relevant. Fulmer was an atrocious coach for nearly a decade, but his win % says nothing of the story.

I'm not supporting the view that Saban enabled Dantonio, but his success there and the launchpad that it became for him made hiring a Dantonio easier. The massive dropoff of the conference into oblivion made winning much easier.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I can't remember where he coached after he got fired from here

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

NFL

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Louisville, on my xbox.

13. OrangeEmpire

Gruden coaches on my xbox

So there!

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All of Fulmer's offers were beneath him, you know.

15. OrangeEmpire

vOL4LIFE

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was once the coach and starting quarterback. I was pretty good.

17. OrangeEmpire

I do the same thing.

I make family and friends and put them on Miami.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I made custom prospects of my friends then don't try to recruit them. So I can beat them at other schools.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hell, Golden could probably use them right about now.

20. OrangeEmpire

That's a fun idea.