I Hope The DE Bathroom Murder Video Doesn't Get Released

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No charges yet from what I've seen.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They must be lining their ducks in a row or dithering on what to actually charge the girls, right? There's no way nothing comes of this.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yeah. Big difference in a black eye and taking life.

4. kidbourbon

Not sure how they bracket out their murder charges in DE, but in VA it would be second degree murder and they could maybe plead down to.....second degree murder.

Maybe they're trying to figure out which girl did what, though the one girl made that pretty clear in her beautifully articulated instagram post. And I'm sure it's all on video.

5. kidbourbon

I might normally be inclined to muster the energy to advance an argument that acts that wouldn't normally kill shouldn't be punished differently where, as here, the results were unfortunately and improbably tragic (but not what you would expect to flow naturally from the conduct in question).* But with this lot, I'm good.

*And we shouldn't try to say with a straight face that most of the times a girl gets her face slammed into a sink she dies, because that's certainly not the case.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sort of depends on the video, doesn't it? There can be a lethal intent with a blunt object, in this case a sink.

7. Unimane

Manslaughter seems an inevitable result, to me.

8. kidbourbon

I thought that at first, but then I revisited the definition of manslaughter. It doesn't fit as well as second degree murder.

ETA: going off common law definition of manslaughter. Some States may define it statutorily.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  9. kidbourbon

Yeah, I think it does. If it was a clear, intentional, forceful slamming of head into sink, bad for girls. If it was normal girlfight uncoordinated slapgrabbling that just happened to result in one girls head getting veered -- because of the momentum of the uncoordinated slapgrappling collective -- straight into sink, better for girls.

The instagram post seemed to describe the former, though.

I hope the prosecutors overcharge so that it goes to trial so that I can see the video.

10. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

If you argue an intentional agg assault, you've got felony murder.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Links? Enumeration?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://8thmaxim.com/site/forum/showthread.php?t=14597

1. We are all born into different circumstances.

2. Circumstances have a large effect on one's ability to succeed.

3. There are circumstances that are ingrained into our society due to structured inequalities of the past.

4. Those ingrained circumstances favor white folks over black folks.

5. Some people get really defensive about this issue because they see it as blame or something they owe. Some people think just by acknowledging it they've done something. Neither is true, imo.

6. Some people say it is just socioeconomics. I agree that socioeconomics is the expression of this, but point out that black people are proportionally much more effected by socioeconomic issues than whites. I see white privilege as the explanation for that, others disagreed and felt it was something to do with black culture.

See, that wasn't hard. Why even say anything if you aren't willing to elaborate beyond a single sentence?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  13. Unimane

1 count of criminally negligent homicide.

2 counts of criminal conspiracy.

Interestingly enough, the girl did not die of blunt force trauma, but a cardiac arrest due to a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by the fight.

http://news.delaware.gov/2016/05/09/doj-7/

14. kidbourbon

Felony murder is almost a foregone conclusion. There are just a number of ways you could charge this and get it to felony murder.

Also, it's kind of irrelevant which girl did the most, since the others will likely be on the hook as accomplices.

ETA: this was posted before I read Unimane's post

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  15. kidbourbon

That actually changes things quite a bit. And has to be the reason the charges aren't more aggressive.