I know this isn't the recruiting board but....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So, BPV, with your linear algebra / eigenvalues background, you may remember the Gershgorin theorem?

Funny story there, at least to me. Here goes the long story no one cares about.

First year of grad school, a few weeks in. I'm a bit wide eyed. To say no one in my class had anything on me would be an absolute lie, but I was holding my own next to them. But, when it came to the profs - I was a bit knocked off my game. I was intimidated by them and pretty much wanted to go unnoticed.

Well my numerical methods class was taught by a guy that had written his own book, which of course he taught out of. It wasn't published yet so the book was basically printed and bound by campus copy. We were on the chapter about eigenvalues and this prof had a hard on for Gershorgin (sic). I mean, this guys name was plastered all over the chapter. Gershorgin theorem, Gershorgin method, Gershorgin head, if you will. The book wasn't written so well on this topic so I took to google for some help. After googling "Gershorgin Theorem," I get google's quaint little "Did you mean Gershgorin's Theorem?" I was like, awwww nah. The dude had misspelled the guy's name everywhere. All the lectures. The book. Of course in first year madness, this was the most hilarious discovery ever and I had to let all other classmates in the office know. We had many laughs.

At the next office hours, some classmates mentioned to the TAs that I had found an error, which they found humorous as well. Two weeks later we have our first exam. As we're leaving, prof is at the back taking the blue books. I hand him mine and duck my head as I'm still not in my groove with these guys. Dude says "Thank you, [insert my name]" (note there is no way I thought this guy knew who I was). He goes on. "I hope everything was spelled OK for you in the exam - I'd hate for you to have to have to spend your time finding errors rather than making them."

Heck of a first impression apparently.

2. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[​IMG]

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Ouch.

4. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

^^^did not read.Too long.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

As far as one and only posts go that are 3 years in the making, this one is amazing. Post more.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was he actually annoyed or just messing with you, TT?

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I had no idea at the time because he delivered it straight but I later learned he was just giving me shit. He actually did me a solid later.

8. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

The only two that are better than the DT tandem we're about to bring in would be Floyd/Easley from UF and Goldman/Edwards from FSU.

247 had Edwards and Floyd ranked as SDE's coming out of HS but according to rivals:

Edwards - #1 DT
    Goldman - #2 DT

Floyd - #1 DT
    Easley - #2 DT

9. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

It's a little skewed, they have a monster class this year but it's like this is the first year he's gotten off his ass and made an attempt to recruit. USCe could and should have depth upon depth right now but instead they are headed for a season like we're having this year where freshmen galore are playing.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:hi:

11. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Mods can we move this to recruiting board? Cluttering the MB.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He said with all due respect. When you say "with all due respect" you can say anything.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

No, shut the **** up

14. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

[​IMG]

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

WTF. How have I never seen this?

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's in the Geneva Convention.

17. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I'm sorry if I just ruined your childhood, brah.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ruined, hell, just improved it. I love me some Mr. Rogers, and I find this juxtaposed against his normal persona to be down right hilarious. I imagine there is something behind the story.

EDIT: Apparently he was singing a song with some kids on the set called "Mr. Thumbkins" and you sing about each finger on your hand, and hold each one up as you sing that particular verse. Still makes for an incredibly potent gif for when you want to tell someone to **** off.

19. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I was curious about the back story behind that gif, as well. I thought it was a good time to pull that one out.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If you've caused Mr. Rogers to flip the bird, best get your shit together.