Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Of course they came legally, what restrictions did they have? Show up on a boat and not have tuberculosis, you're pretty much in.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

relevance?

3. Unimane

It might be a little bit of a problem were we to change the law specifically to boot tens of thousands of children.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why?

5. Unimane

You read my post, right? I said it fit the pattern of former immigrants looking down upon and creating more obstacles for current ones.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Don't hold your breath while waiting on Un to explain how the plight of Central Americans / Mexicans is somehow worse or more urgent than the plight of any number of millions, elsewhere.

Damned sure don't wait for him to explain how other immigrants find a way to enter the country each day, in a perfectly legal manner.

These are votes we're talking about, here, and nothing else.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

problem for whom?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we are creating more obstacles for people entering this country legally? link? it's been the same process for at least a generation.

9. Unimane

So, we pass a law for humanitarian reasons and abandon it when a bunch of kids show up?

Also, remember when I was talking about how Republicans are doing a poor job in the Hispanic community? Well, doing a "**** these kids" doesn't help. It isn't that you have to let them in, but not giving a shit about a bunch of Hispanic refugees (as they are seen) just further cements the perception among this growing voting bloc about Republicans.

10. Tenacious D

We already have laws that clearly require this. Precisely this, even. The problem is not that we are wanting for new laws, but that President Obama refuses - and read that carefully, refuses - to enforce those laws, ostensibly because neither his oath and duties as the President, nor a necessary respect for the rule of law, mean anything to him.

And he's a Democrat, and this will get votes for the Democratic Party, and which suits your own worldview and aims.

So, you willingly sacrifice your intellectual honesty, and break the very bounds of reason, in hopes of defending the absolutely indefensible.

Were this a Republican, or likely GOPers, you would be apoplectic at the unfolding situation, as well you should be.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I read somewhere the feds are restricting photos to only those they release.

12. Unimane

Speaking as one who has went through the process and spent a considerable amount of time talking to others who have done so over the decades, it's much more restrictive now than it was, say, even in the 90s. It's infinitely more restrictive and cumbersome than when my ancestors came from Germany, as well. The only time it loosened was when they got rid of the quotas and laws set in 1924.

13. Unimane

I don't remember sacrificing my "intellectual honesty" and opposing the 2008 Human Trafficking Law, which is what is being cited here, simply because Bush was in charge.

And, no, on the last sentence.

14. Tenacious D

Oh, so you're doing us a solid by attempting to show how the Republicans could also exploit these kids for political gain, I guess if we were savvy enough?

You need to realize that this is all horse shit, no matter who is doing it, why, or who may stand to gain from it.

That you can so easily see the largely imagined danger(s) of school-lead prayer, but fail to see the real, actual and tangible dangers of a Chief Executive who blatantly ignores the law, seemingly at whim, is absolutely galling to me.

You're not to be taken seriously on this issue, Un. You're blind to the reality of it all.

15. Tenacious D

To argue that this is a problem solely - or even primarily - the result of human trafficking, is so asinine as to boggle the imagination.

Why don't you cite LBJ's "War on Poverty", claim that these are its enemy soldiers, and demand that we apply the Geneva Conventional Rules, instead.

Why not claim that they've all been disabled by poverty, and leverage the ADA?

Just so stupid.

16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

17. Unimane

As usual, you foster "debate" on these topics by telling those who disagree with you that they aren't to be taken seriously, Tenny.

But, just for arguments sake, my consternation over school led prayer one is something you pulled out of your ass or confused me with IP, I don't know. I don't remember doing anything but agreeing that it shouldn't be in schools. Secondly, if Republicans want to take their "principled" stand and ignore real issues to a specific community, then they absolve themselves of the right to piss and moan when they don't get their votes. Finally, I've mentioned problems I've had with Obama policies on this board before, but (1) they always get ignored when I mention them and (2) I'm more of an Obama supporter than 99% of this board, so they are more infrequent than others' criticisms.

But, hey, thanks for setting me straight, though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  18. Unimane

So, if that's the determination, they aren't the result of human trafficking, just send them back, as has already started. The rest of the post is just nonsense.

19. Unimane

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapavol

It's because we have this idiotic policy that provides them money, food, shelter and healthcare for simply crossing our border. It's an idiotic policy. How about we talk about ending that or letting those of you worried for these kids to voluntarily help the poor struggling souls.

Oh, Tenny, did you forget that I made this post, agreeing that our policies giving illegal immigrants was "idiotic"? It almost seems as if I was criticizing Obama here.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

of course it's more restrictive than it was before. we don't have the need or room for them we used to. arguing this is some sort of "we don't like different people" situation is just absurd.