"Intelligent Design" and "Irreducible complexity"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 3, 2013.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That was no joke. You just described belief in a creator as childish.

I don't think you are dumb. You either just can't fathom how you come across or you don't care.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said in this thread already that I am not for censoring anyone's beliefs. I just don't want them projected onto others. I also like to discuss and challenge beliefs, including my own positions. That's what I like to do here, although some apparently find it offensive.

It is weird that you are asking questions that I have actually addressed in the last couple of pages here.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How is faith an intrusion on values?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying you use the word "autistic" to describe me then tell me to find jokes that weren't "obvious." That seems kind of strange.

"Why is the sky blue? God just made it that way." Childish. It isn't meant to be insulting. But I did intend it to be stimulating to discussion. "Because God" is not a rational or practical explanation for anything, I don't know why that would suddenly change when discussing the origin of the universe or the origin of life.

If this hurts your feelings for me to express this opinion, I'm sorry. But it seems you might be overly sensitive.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Example: I believe in a woman's right to choose. There are many who call that murder because of their interpretation of the Bible, and then lobby to impose that faith-based position on everyone through law.

6. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Since this is a country founded on personal freedoms, including the freedom of religion, then it shouldn't effect you if someone prays for guidance on making the best decision they can for they perceive as the greater good. If they believe it helps them make better decisions to pray on it, and I am one of those people, then you should be glad that someone believes in taking the time to make what they think is the proper decision, versus rushing it to get it done.

Yet, you project your unbeliefs on others, or so it would seem in other threads, so wouldn't that make you somewhat of a hypocrite??

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Because they typically understand no further than fuel propelling a vehicle.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Society and government are driven (and have been throughout history) by beliefs of individuals, faith and non faith based.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So? You have a basis for believing something isn't life. With that approach, anything disagreeable to your values, which are generally extreme, is a values intrusion.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We live in a country that was founded on reason, not faith or belief in divine intervention. Our laws are not supposed to be based on faith or our interpretation of religious texts.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

We were founded on republicanism, reason or no.

12. Beechervol

Given our history some of them have taken "reason" (assuming none of them were religious to begin with, which I will never believe) and found faith with it.

You are affected by non faith based beliefs as well.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That isn't an intrusion on values. No one is forcing anyone to accept any value. In that scenario you don't have to accept that abortion is bad, you just aren't allowed to have one.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

An autistic person isn't dumb (at least not necessarily), but does have a problem with empathy. The description is apt.

A child is scared and concocts preposterous stories to explain away frightening or confusing concepts. I assure you I, and a hell of a lot other people believing in a higher power, are not just resigning ourselves to never being able to understand Stephen Hawking.

15. Beechervol

If they held that position because of their own reason instead of the Bible, would that change your opinion?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Someone using abortion as birth control to me is a murderer. It's an unnecessary ending of life. I didn't come to that conclusion due to the bible or church.

That being said, I do think people should be able to choose, I just personally don't agree with it.

17. Beechervol

I agree. And the last part was really the point I was getting at. Some people come to the same conclusion or belief from different places. Im just curious to see if one matters more because it is faith based.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

When did you first get introduced to the idea of a higher power that created the world?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

As a birth control is gross, but a first trimester fetus is anything close to a human being, so I don't think it is murder.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As a child. Point?