"Intelligent Design" and "Irreducible complexity"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 3, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was taught that you only go to hell if you reject god when presented to him. well if i meet him face to face I assure you I will believe in him. i don't think it's anywhere close to a slam dunk theologically that non christians go straight to hell.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

By that, you took Faith out of the picture.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how so?

4. Oldvol75

That the only way you would believe is to meet Him face to face.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the question is whether god requires faith while you are on earth to avoid hell.

6. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

You can't get to God, except through Jesus.

7. Oldvol75

See the Rich man and Lazerus.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm sure if many of you were born in Pakistan, you'd all be Baptist and love Jesus. It's definitely not someone's upbringing that essentially decides their religious beliefs.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In my case, it wasn't.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's still more or less a function of where you live. If you lived in Pakistan or Iraq, you'd be Muslim. And, according to most in this thread, that automatically sends you to hell. I think that's an unreasonable position.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

According to most in this thread? Assume much?

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

They know who they are. I obviously wasn't talking about you.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You aren't alone

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, I should apologize. Upbringing was the wrong term. I should have said "where one lives." My fault.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I haven't seen anyone calling for anybody to go to hell.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You must have missed the discussion on the previous page.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No they are just saying we are by our nature deserving of eternal torture and can only be saved by believing what they do, which is a great deal because we don't deserve to be saved anyway. That is totally reasonable.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm not sure how John 3:16 could be any clearer but in any case if you're genuinely interested in this particular subject I would recommend reading what the Bible has to say about it.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's not necessarily true. Christians are persecuted in that area of the world everday.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If you disagree with the notion that you're not Christian by function of your parents being Christian and you being in a primarily Christian nation and would honestly try to say that if you were born in the average Pakistani home that you wouldn't be Muslim, I think that's absurd to the point that a rational conversation can not be had.