Iraq Battles Islamists in Saddam’s Hometown

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 12, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i fully believe they both thought there were WMD. whether they should have thought that given the evidence is a completely different argument. but clinton, who everyone seems to think is a genius, was also "duped by a crazy person."

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bad case of Clinton envy, imho.

3. JayVols

If they really thought there were WMDs, why cook the evidence?

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Might work though.

Wait, Lindsey's a dude?

5. JayVols

I'm not privy to who the "dude" in the relationship is, thank God.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Clinton invaded Iraq? I missed that.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess we were supposed to occupy Iraq indefinitely, with indefinite casualties, at indefinite cost, propping up a coalition government with no authority. That would have been far better than cutting our losses.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Every news outlet is left wing around here except Fox News and the Drudge Report. For some reason, they just don't think intelligence problems leading up to the Iraqi War is news.

9. JayVols

Unfunded war is an acceptable deficit spending item.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, I'm convinced. The Democrats are indeed the tallest midgets when it comes to the Iraq invasion.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

touche. For the record, my objection at the time was that we didn't build international consensus first. In hindsight, that isn't really a good objection (I was 18, didn't realize how useless the international community as a whole is). When Colin Powell testified about mobile chemical weapons labs, I believed him because why would he lie, and why wouldn't he be sure before sharing it?

I hope a thorough investigation was made on where all that bad intelligence was coming from and the problem was corrected, at least.

12. JayVols

I respect Colin Powell.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

presumably you don't like our approach in Germany.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he was lying about there being WMD too right?

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

based upon?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you must be kidding me. you are seriously comparing the links you posted with say CNN?

17. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

His honest work in the My Lai investigation. And he's black.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are more options than being there the rest of eternity and leaving with no plan.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

At the time, I thought Halliburton ties were driving the call to invade. That alone was enough to make me question the entire reported intelligence. The whole thing seemed opportunistic to me.

My biggest gripe about the Democrats was that it seemed as though they were playing politics with the situation. I remember there being questions about the intelligence leading up to the authorization.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I must have missed the Soviets occupying eastern Iraq. Don't pretend like there is anything comparable between post WWII and this. At least the Korean War would have been closer. Or maybe Vietnam.