Lenoir City School Prayer Halted

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Now, it may not have been interpreted as saying this, but it's pretty cut and dry what the first amendment says.

1. Congress
    2. shall make no law
    3. respecting an establishment of religion,
    4. or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

How in the world we've gotten to the point that praying before a football game violates this is beyond me unless Congress, itself, voted and approved said prayer.

And once again, taken how it's been interpreted over basically the course of 45-50 years, it's not been applied equitably to parts 3 and 4.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I really don't see it as a stretch nor do I find it surprising. It's clearly unconstitutional. As to parts 3 and 4, that's what is being violated when government entities have prayer.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That is an interesting question.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I agree with all of this. Well put.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've never thought of it that way but as long as the housing project didn't force or discriminate against the types of groups. I wouldn't see an issue with said events above.

Students are forced to go to school. The grey issue is with sporting events and non-forced school events on the issue.

7. CardinalVol

So please show me the law Congress passed saying Lenoir City High School will pray a Christian prayer before every football game.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am a Christian. A practicing one not just one in name, and I am with you on this 53. This subject comes up in my Sunday School class (taught by my father-in-law) all the time. My responses to this and similar questions have earned me the title of the resident black sheep which I accept with a measure of pride.

I am in the schools every day. There's nothing I can or would do to prevent someone from praying. I do not support school led prayer or allowing a local minister to come in and lead a school wide prayer. If the local Baptist minister does it, the Methodists may take offense or the Presbyterians or Apostolics etc. Then when an Imam, Rabbi, Catholic (at least in my area), Scientologist, or dare I say Mormon wants to do the same, I've ticked everyone off. It's a no win situation for the school. Best to steer clear of it all. One issue hasn't been touched on yet. Whose responsibility is it for religious education? I say it sure isn't the schools. We have our hands full as it is. Parents are the ones responsible. They don't need to shirk their responsibilities and dump it on us. I will teach my kids what I want them to know when I want them to know. I would not leave something that important to someone that I may have talked to six or seven times. All parents (including me) need to accept that responsibility not dump it on someone else. After all aren't schools infested with athiest pinko leftist commies?

Public prayer in school is not a cure all elixir for the ills of society. Our nation's issues start long before they enter and long after kids leave the school building. This is just another attempt to deflect blame and responsibility away from where it should lie, at home. I have no issue with a moment of silence. (I'll take a second's peace anytime I can get it.) I have no issue with voluntary student led prayer at the flagpole in the morning or with FCA. These are good things as long as it is voluntary and student led. The example set by kids that engage in these activities is more powerful than anything an adult with an agenda could say or do in the eyes of our young people.

Addendum: I am old enough to remember an elderly couple that came to my elementary school to teach Bible lessons, Mr. and Mrs. Curliwich (sp?). They were sweet as sugar and did a great job, but if I had been anything other than a Protestant not sure it would have been too comfortable.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I had an old woman named Mrs. Glover that came to my school for years and did bible lessons. She had a board and would stick biblical figures on it and tell us a story.

10. CardinalVol

When I was in Kindergarten, my pastor played Santa at our class Christmas party.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I had Mrs. Glover too.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You're analyzing it far, far too simply. Public schools get federal funding from Congress. Also, they get funding from the state government. When they start praying to Jesus every little event they have, that is essentially a governmental entity promoting a particular religion, or, in other words, respecting an establishment of religion. I've never understood the opposition to this. You don't go to high school football games to pray. That's why there are churches.

13. JayVols

A felt board? Those must have been required because that's what the Curliwich's used. Lol.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with all of this. And, denying a prayer said over a PA system isn't denying anyone the ability to pray all they want to. I just find it odd that people are obsessed with having a prayer, most likely from someone they don't know, spoken over a microphone at a sporting event.

15. JayVols

Engaging in Secularism imo jmo.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yep, it was an old blue felt board. Mrs. Glover was legendary in Scott County. I always got to catch up on my sleep when she came.

17. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

The felt board made its appearance in Greene County as well. I'm not really sure why old people felt that the Bible was best translated via felt characters.

18. CardinalVol

I'm just reading what the Constitution says verbatim. Seems pretty cut and dry to me and pretty much did to everyone until the early 60s. Coincidence perhaps?

So on the flip side, what about in Colorado where a bill was passed in 08 that stated no books could be published in the state that condemned homosexuality? Doesn't take Einstein to realize what group that was aimed towards, or even what specific group (Focus on the Family). Is that unconstitutional?

19. CardinalVol

Ironically enough, I've often wondered how some folks at my church would respond if our pastor were to do that.

Granted, the guy now is about 6'2 and maybe 200. The guy back then probably 6'0 and 350 and was loud and boisterous. It was a natural role for him.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The felt flames were particularly intimidating.