Lenoir City School Prayer Halted

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I feel that a silent prayer is a more personal experience anyway. I don't mind an oral prayer in church. I pray orally in church often. I will sound judgemental, but I'm not intending to be: I think all of us that attend church knows the person that tries too hard in a prayer in order to impress others by the length and fancy words they use. It becomes about them at that point. That's why I prefer silent prayer or an oral prayer while I'm alone.

2. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

My quiz cheating was cut down drastically for at least a week when I had that horror placed upon me.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No, it's not a coincidence, and I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say the Constitution is cut and dry. We wouldn't have 240 years of case law on it if it was. I would think that the Colorado law violates freedom of speech and freedom or religion if you're accurately telling what the bill does.

4. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I've always thought this. I would prefer, if there has to be anything, for a moment of silence/reflection prior to a game. No reason for someone to recite some prayer that usually ends up just sounding shallow anyway. However, I know some "christians" that would equate a moment of silence to atheism.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The total irony of this is that if UT got rid of the pre game prayer, I'd be totally fine with it and somewhat glad.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wonder what they feel about 'quiet time' meant to reflect on one's beliefs and 'feel the spirit'? No difference to me.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Are you kidding? The 100,000 plus people, many of whom are heavily intoxicated, simply can not watch the game without offering praise to God first.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd be glad if we got rid of prayer of any kind at any public event, meaning a public event put on by an arm of government.

9. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

They could just have a silent prayer. Maybe something like this:

"Dear 6lb 4oz little baby Jesus. I know you grew up a VFL. (Sunsets are orange right??) So please let the vawls win tonight. BOOM and God Bless the Vawls!!!!"

10. CardinalVol

I actually don't really even care about the prayer or any other religious celebration or event from a religious context as much as I do a community historical/culture context. That's why if predominately Christian Lenoir City wants to pray before a game like they have for 50 years, then I am fine with it. Same for predominately Muslim Dearborn, MI. Same reason I didn't care one iota that their football team was practicing at 3 in the morning during one of the Muslim holy months a few years back when everyone went crazy over it.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd just add: "And thank you Jesus for that cameraman putting that hot coed with the huge rack on the jumbotron. Damn, those things look good in HD. WOOOOOO!!!!"

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Having football practice at a particular time to accommodate a religion's Holy Week or Holy Month isn't the same thing as praising Allah before every event. How many times did you have sports practice on Christmas Day? None. Just like me. That's no different.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I thought that was the purpose of going to church.

14. CardinalVol

Actually, even though I didn't, I'm 99% sure our bball teams in high school practiced on Christmas Day because of tournaments. And alas, I never got to practice football on Thanksgiving Day either for the football semi-finals.

How much (% wise) on Constitutional Case law is pre-1960 and how much is most 1960?

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I wish there was a way to distinguish between the clearly proselytizing aspect of religion with what religious institutions mean more generally to communities, especially small ones. Church buildings are a central meeting place for everything from voting precincts to retirement dinners. We played in a baseball tournament one time where the local churches made us breakfast, lunch and dinner for the length of our stay. Pretty good food... it is true what they say about Baptist potlucks.

My instinct is to dislike overly-litigious things like this but I suppose this trade-off is better than having to live under a group like the Muslim Brotherhood, for example.

16. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Maybe you can't make it after tailgating at the game? You need that prayer before kick-off to get you through.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm sure that the vast majority of people that hold the position that Justin stated wouldn't exactly feel the same way if, at every public event, they got to listen to the local Imam praise Allah for 30 seconds.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If they practiced on Christmas, they accommodated so their players could attend church, which, again, is exactly the same thing that the Michigan community did. It is not akin to saying a prayer at a public event.

19. CardinalVol

So how much on Constitutional law is pre-60 and how much is post-60?

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There are tons and tons and tons and tons of cases prior to 1960.