Lenoir City School Prayer Halted

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Appreciate it. And agreed.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Considering there are approximately 150,000,000 more people in the U.S. today than there were in 1959, I'm quite sure if you took that into account, there probably at least as many and possibly more con law cases per capita prior to 1960.

3. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

That combined with the fact that we are a more litigious society overall (damn those lawyers) makes it almost meaningless to look at cases filed or heard by the court.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Thread is solid, even if a few on here are heading straight to hell.

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Law needs more of this in his life IMO:

[​IMG]

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

[​IMG]

View from alumvol's bedroom.

Attached Files:

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Mrs. Glover failed, but she gave it her all.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's about the only time my wife will get off her ass and fix me some chocolate chip cookies. My kids put out reindeer food (oatmeal with glitter in it) on the deck and everything. Funny thing, this past Christmas, when we were going out to get the bowls my daughters were with me. We found what looked like deer tracks in the frost on the deck. No joke. It was pretty cool. There was nothing in the bowl either. I dumped it in the yard while setting out the presents. I will say, the duality of seeing the sheer joy and hapiness on their faces when they see and open their Santa gifts coupled with the discouraged left out feeling I get when an imaginary fat guy with a homeless person's beard dressed in a suit that any self-respecting pimp would refuse to wear gets all the credit/thanks for the presents is curiously annoying.

10. JayVols

Had to be asked.....

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Some pretty kooky comments at the end of the article, too. They pull the typical "our society is decaying" and "this was prophesized" commentary to bring to a strictly legal argument.

I am in full agreement with the opinions expressed by Law in this thread. Establishing a moment of silence is an obvious resolution to the matter. I've never understood the need to require a public prayer as it is. It's a purely selfish exercise. Once establishing a prayer over the PA or in whatever form, you are essentially dictating to the crowd a particular belief system. If it was simply about expression, then a simple moment to do so would suffice.

I also agree whole heartedly with hat in the sense that law is in place to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Simply saying that a small community has established a set belief system is not a valid justification.

12. JayVols

Uni agreeing with Law AND Hat? The Myans were right. The end is near.

Cue Law's Lake of Fire pic......

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a goof thread to discuss jesus' 40 time. Fastest athlete on water imo.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the point of religious freedom is it not?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't give a shit who you pray or worship to. I think its disrespectful to cause a scene while someone is doing it.

16. Unimane

Not if it's organized or sanctioned by the public institution.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Which seems silly to me in a country that claims religious freedom

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think you've got it backwards, justin. When government entities are saying Christian (or a prayer of any other religion), then we don't have religious freedom. Freedom is the government or public institution staying out of the prayer/church business completely and allowing you to decide for yourself when you want to pray, where you want to pray, and how you want to worship. I do agree with not causing a scene during a prayer regardless of what type of prayer it is.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i understand the "what's the big deal about having a moment of silence" argument. on the other hand i'd say what's the big deal about say praying at home before you go to school?

20. Unimane

No, because it's the opposite of freedom of religion, i.e. a public institution (not a private individual), promoting a particular religious viewpoint. It's why student-led prayers at the flagpole are alright, but organized prayers at football games are not OK. One is freedom of religion by people freely choosing to pray (or not to pray) and one is imposed upon you by a government institution. It's the definition of violating someone's religious freedom in that sense.