Les Miles out at LSU

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Volguy1971, Sep 25, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A huge part at a lot of schools. Saban told the Alabama boosters to pretty much shut up and leave him alone, though

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You can get away with that if you are winning NCs. That being said I bet Saban is good with boosters when he actually does it

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think he's done it since year 2 at LSU

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For all of his many good attributes as a coach, it continuously escaped Lane that he hadn't earned that latitude (reverence?).

Saban is allowed that other-worldly latitude because his resume and accomplishments have paid for it. Lane, unsurprisingly, considering he's the son of a well-like and über connected coaching father, always seemed to assume that simply wanting that latitude was sufficient to attain it. And it isn't, at all.

The conundrum with Kiffin is that his personality seems perfectly suited for the NFL, where you eat, sleep and breathe football 24/7/365, and not only can you tell anyone who urges you to deviate from that to "Go to hell.", but so will the two bosses you answer to, in tbe GM and owner. But his immense knowledge of QB's / football, his ability to get buy-in from younger and non-professional athletes, his innovative offensive concepts and his recruiting prowess almost certainly means that his greatest success is more likely to occur as a college coach.

Lane could make it in the NFL, but he's no longer the clearly smartest guy in that room, but is amongst a dozen or so peers, and several who are smarter, and with 3-4 being significantly better. In college, he's fighting mostly anemic midgets, and with one hand tied behind his back.

I assume that Lane still wants to get back to the NFL, but college may be his best play.

And here's an unpopular thought: Saban will eventually retire, and when Bama goes scouring the largely barren landscape of next possible coaches, they will quickly find that there is no suitably equal replacement, and may choose the most familiar, instead. Now, with Kirby gone, that would undoubtedly be Kiffin.

Insert all of your stupid and largely still-butt-hurt comments **here** about how he sucks as a coach, how you'd love to see him named Saban's replacement, how he sucked at USC, sucked at Oakland, yada yada yada. He left, and royally screwed us in the process - I despise his ass for that, as least as much as anyone else, if not more - I get it, but we do not want him to be the head guy at Bama, and anyone who thinks we would should be damned careful about what you wish for.

Given his track record at Bama, the intervening time since he left USC, EdO's recent elevation, his youth, and now, his intricate knowledge of Saban and Bama's program, frankly, I think that he's going to get a very strong look from LSU, and I'd much prefer he land there, than to remain at Bama for a few more years. I'd prefer he go anywhere, other than Tuscaloosa.

And so should any Tennessee fan with a brain, and who is paying attention.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Nick Saban runs the University of Alabama, the entire system, and they don't even try to feign otherwise.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd prefer not to have Kiffin as a head coach in the SEC, especially Alabama.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's his own worst enemy, though. He'll get a head job somewhere, he'll flame out spectacularly and then go be a coordinator again

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And they're printing money and championship banners

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Let's be honest, they would be printing championship banners if they had Dooley as HC.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Not really fair to say he'll flame out. He obviously left us in a major bind, but he had everything moving in the right direction. He did well at USC, considering the circumstances, and then got fired by a shitty AD. If Kiffin lands in the right situation, he'll win a lot of football games and winning football games will make it easier for people to overlook his other issues.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think it's hard to say what direction he had us going. Some things looked good but half that first class flamed out, and all the nonsense. Who knows.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, it's definitely a guessing game, but the on field product was solid and Tennessee quickly became relevant again. As for his recruits, if I had signed with UT to play for Kiffin, O, and company and ended up with ddiapos after my first season, I'd have probably flamed out too.

13. NorrisAlan

It wouldn't have been hard to quit, I imagine.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The flaming out that occurred was not primarily about players quitting.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The right situation, he won't, but there are very few schools that will leave a coach alone.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to see Frank Wilson get the job. If he did, there would be no reason to recruit the state of Louisiana.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but a lot of those guys might have stayed more focused on football with a decent coach. I think under Dooley few of them cared. The ones that stayed quit on the field multiple times.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Dooley also let the players run the ship. He basically fired the best offensive assistant coach because he didn't let Rodgers run wild.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Report: LSU to ‘gauge interest’ of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer

ha ha ha

20. NorrisAlan

hahahahahah......*GASP*....hahahahahahahahaha