Les Miles out at LSU

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Volguy1971, Sep 25, 2016.

1. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Sounds like a solid fiscal plan to me. Pretty solid combo.

2. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

and the way it should be. It is called winning. The college game is about winning championships and making benjamins pretty simple.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons the first class flamed out is the staff they signed with left and was replaced by the Keystone Cops.

4. hatvol96

I don't laugh at that. I admire it. Everyone laughed at Alabama's pursuit of Saban til he signed on. Then, they cowered.

5. hatvol96

The consensus was also that Harbaugh was never going back to college. If you aim for mediocrity, it's pretty certain you can hit it.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Lsu is not Alabama

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It's a top 5 job.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Alabama wasn't exactly Alabama back when they hired Saban.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ehhh. I don't think so. Top 10

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It will always be a top 5 job and they weren't trying to take Saban from Ohio state where he was winning NCs. He was on his way out at Miami.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd rank the following jobs over lsu:

Bama
    Florida
    USC
    Ohio state
    Florida state
    Texas

And I'd seriously consider:
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    Michigan
    Oklahoma

12. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

What would your top 5 be?

13. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Notre Dame should be on there also.

14. hatvol96

Notre Dame has been good about 7 of the last 30 years. They are essentially Army with a better TV deal.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah somewhat of a brain fart on my part, but I wouldn't put it above lsu because of the academic restrictions and recruiting base. They can recruit nationally better than any other team though.

16. hatvol96

Alabama and Florida are the only two jobs that are better than LSU with a proper coach. Texsucks has been mediocre as much as they have been good the last 30 years. The ultimate paper tiger.

17. hatvol96

And the fact they have won very little of substance in the modern era.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

LSU is the only school among those in the most talent-rich states (Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, Louisiana, the Carolinas,Virginia, etc) who doesn't have to compete with another instate force for talent. If a kid wants to stay home, it's LSU. Bama, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Texas, A&M...those schools don't have that luxury. I think that's a big recruiting edge.

And the instate talent pool is richer than what Tennessee, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State have to work with.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Any job where you have dozens of 4 and 5 star guys a year growing up wanting to go to your college is a top 5 job. Like USC they've just hired a bunch of morons. Lsu has a great recruiting base, but it just isn't at that level. Not only that I think it's a lot easier to come into lousiana and get those guys than to go into Texas or so cal and get top recruits. Oregon, Ucla, and Stanford beat USC with regularity and still take the scraps from their table even when USC sucks. Now obviously a tendency to hire morons and a shit ad is a huge problem, but I still think both are clearly top 5 jobs.

20. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Traditionally USC, MI, ND, TX, OSU, OU and bama have been the destination jobs.