Les Miles out at LSU

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Volguy1971, Sep 25, 2016.

1. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Holtz when they were relevant for a little while.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree with the logic, but they've recruited too well for too long for me to believe that.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And that's been true for all of what 5 years? The 90 years prior they picked whoever they wanted.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah. I agree with the logic, but they've been too good and have recruited too well before Meyer for me to think that 10 years from now they still won't have annual top 10 classes.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'd put that one somewhere in the 7-15 range of college jobs. It's the Oakland Raiders of college football. Still a strong, badass brand, but so much suck between the moments of massive success.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kelly has recruited well enough that their team certainly is top 10 in talent currently. Of course, they just lost to duke

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

No, they aren't. They have the team speed of Iowa.

8. hatvol96

And still won less than OU. That should tell you something. They are the Brooks Brothers of college football. A brand people who don't know better think is awesome but people in the know consider a joke.

9. hatvol96

Key word in that sentence being "little."

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that was true before, but not anymore

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

the cheesecake factory of college football

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Any coach with a pulse recruting wise can have annual top 5 recruting classes at Texas. Brown did that without working in January. a good, not great coach can win big at Texas. Not sure the same is true at Oklahoma. I agree with you that wins matter in this discussion, but USC basically didn't win shit outside of Carroll since robinsons first tenure, but look at who they hired? Larry smith, Robinson 2.0, Hackett, sark. Not one of those guys won shit anywhere else.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of Texas kids suck at football.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

seems like just about every Texas kid we've ever pulled sans Denarius Moore was a bust. I'm sure there's a few who've come good but way less than those that don't

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're coddled babies, for the most part. Everyone talks about Texas talent, yet Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and California put more guys in the nfl. The state of Alabama is up there too

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

LSU is a top tier job. In fact, I would argue most of the SEC jobs are top tier jobs (sans Miss St and Vandy), as long as a) the administration supports the staff b) they hire a top notch coach and c) they stay the **** out of the way.

Texas is Texas because the boosters want to be part of the Program, from what I understand. Same as USC. And by part, I mean an actual part of the Program. Saban is doing so well at Bama because he is Saban and he told the boosters (just like Bryant did) to get the hell out of the way and come and watch the games and write a big check.

At least that is how I see it.

17. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

18. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Metro Nashville has absolutely exploded over the last few years and a few Titans that have stayed here are having their kids come through the high school ranks.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Texas kids are hard to judge. They're basically a finished product in high school due to the resources and coaching talent at the high school ranks.