MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Now please let Spencer Striders oblique heal

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I just tried exhaling and it felt kind of nice.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

AA said they hope to get him back for the division series. But Ozzie won't be ready.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

NashVol11 likes this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Congrats to Aaron Judge on hitting the 7th most home runs in a single MLB season.

Ssmiff, InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yep. No need for separate records anymore. The leagues are identical now. It'd be like keeping separate records for AFC and NFC.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People talk about steroids, but the stuff available now to these guys is as good for muscle, strength , recovery and focus as roids. Do people really think players get as jacked as they are from eating right and throwing heavy weight around, while playing so many games tearing their bodies down.

SetVol13 likes this.
  8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I would say Judge gets his power from being 6’7 280+. I don’t think hitting performance is anywhere remotely close to steroid-era levels right now

A-Smith likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But players aren't as jacked as they were 20 years ago.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There are a lot more players carrying around extra fat nowadays. They keep their muscles from breaking down by staying in a calorie surplus.

11. Ssmiff

players are bigger, faster and stronger across every sport.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

ok

13. Ssmiff

I do believe changes in workouts are in play as well. Late 80s guys weren’t doing yoga and full body CrossFit stuff. They were throwing heavy weight around. I doubt anyone here involved in a muscle building program in HS or college did anything more than heavy lifting. Exercise science has come a long way since then, including diets and supplements.
    Point still being, Judge and other 6’4-6’5 mlb players are every bit as strong as Bonds and McGuire.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They are even stronger (in the right muscles). They aren't doing much bench pressing though and they aren't as "jacked."

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The average body type of an MLB player has changed. They resemble NFL linebackers a lot less than they did 20 years ago.

16. Ssmiff

more pitchers throwing harder. Is that evolution and development or science help or both. In the roid years, minor leaguers would come in throwing 90 then jump to 96. Now UT starting rotation throws harder.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There are a number of reasons for that but I don't think PEDs are in the top 5.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NVM. I'm an idiot.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Idiotic posts are the fuel that keeps this place going.

utvol0427 likes this.
  20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And then there was Greg Maddux dominating with an 88mph fastball.