MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Todd Helton misses Cooperstown by eleven votes. Will probably make it next year.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Scott Rolen belongs.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

He has an insane hard on for the Cubs

4. JohnnyQuickkick

As much as I enjoy the weeping & gnashing of teeth over Dale Murphy I’d gladly trade Chip Caray back to the Braves in return for Murphy getting in the HoF

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Meh. I didn’t realize he had a 70+ WAR, which I guess qualifies him for the actual Hall, but neither he nor Todd Helton are in my hall.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Don't let too many strays up in your halls, huh?

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'd put Murphy and Maris in. If you win two MVPs you should be in.

Murphy had the most WAR of anyone in baseball from 1982-1987 I think. His numbers pale compared to many of the players in the 90s of course.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think Andruw Jones and Scott Rolen have similar cases for HoF inclusion.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

lol the cardinals sent out a happy birthday tweet for James Naile and then 4 hours later DFA’d hizzazz

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Guess he should have retweeted it.

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

This is going to be a shitshow, isn’t it?

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Catcher wasn't even in the box, let alone in position. Pretty stupid for the batter to have to be fully aware in that situation.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This should definitely not be a thing. Terrible idea.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Would rather MLB just throw them right in the deep end with the new rules, rather than gradually applying them. Good thing these games don’t matter.

These guys are professionals, they’ll have it figured out by the time the games do matter.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup. MLB knew this would be a disaster and wanted it to happen when games don’t matter.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If they're in the batter's box, it's enough. The pitcher is in control and can pitch it. I don't think they should be policing where someone's eyes are. That's stupid.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I like what they are trying to do with the rule changes though. I wish there could be more. I've hear Costas and Bill James opine for a game more like the one from the 70's and 80's. Heck, after watching this, I would really enjoy someone trying to re-create deadball conditions.

https://www.mlb.com/video/brian-kenny-on-dead-ball-era

Not sure what I would pay to go back in a time machine and watch Cobb, Wagner, Speaker, and Walter Johnson but it would involve a loan repayment plan.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m not sure I want to go all the way back to 1912, but the 80s Cardinals were a lot of fun.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I just read The Glory of their Times. It was wildly entertaining back then.

If I were a small market team who never won anything anyway, I would build a small ball roster right now and just see what happened. DO Billy Beane in reverse. Conditions might change with rule changes and tougher and tougher pitching to make something like that work.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It pains me as a Cubs fan to admit that those Cardinals teams were some of my favorites.

Alas, those days are gone with gorilla ball and analytics destroying the art and beauty of the game.