Modern Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 18, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Where do I sign up?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Flip over your drivers license!

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, already did that.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

who's paying for caviar?

5. NorrisAlan

Not me, not for myself. No need to do so, and have never had it. But it seems silly for the cost of it. And I don't need it to survive.

My point is that we are all chipping into a big pot so that we all have something that we all need, but is normally too expensive on an individual basis. Like roads. There is a reason that roads must be paid for by the public coffers. Or police, fire departments, etc. I cannot afford my own fire truck, and it would be silly for everyone to have their own private firetruck in their yard.

We are also not putting in a big pot of money for a small percentage of the people to give them something that they don't need.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but people can afford to pay for their own health costs. . .

7. NorrisAlan

1) You don't have to eat caviar to survive. You can live on much less expensive items.
    2) You have to take certain medicines to survive. You cannot just substitute Tylenol for liver medicine.
    3) Not everyone can afford the liver medicine, and if they can, it might finally bankrupt them, leaving them with no life worth living. See parents that go bankrupt after their kid with leukemia dies.

Obviously we are all at a philosophical disagreement and will never come to a consensus, and have now come full circle to the beginning of the thread.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tylenol is name brand acetaminophen, Mr. Moneybags.

9. NorrisAlan

You got me. I am really Bill Gates posing as a UT fan!

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but why is this any different than anything else? your own example is of people with enough wealth to pay for said costs.

11. NorrisAlan

Because one is a vanity item, the other is not. I do not think only the well off (myself included there) deserve to have the ability to go see the doctor for a physical every year, or have affordable medicines for themselves or their kids.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you have no money you get those things for free in this country.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Let's not pretend we're complaining about infrastructure.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are arguing people deserve to live in comfort, not that they deserve healthcare if they can't afford it.

15. NorrisAlan

And if you have a little bit of money but not enough to cover it? Say you make $40k a year as a family of 4, both parents working. And then you come down with colon cancer, and require medical care that costs a ton of money because you are not destitute. It makes you destitute.

I know, that is life, suck it up buttercup. But the thing is it doesn't have to be that way.

16. NorrisAlan

I have never seen anyone here complain about infrastructure. I asked if you hated paying taxes to pay for roads or shouldn't have to pay taxes for the roads.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what if I get hit by a car and can't work? and only living on disability insurance makes my family destitute? why isn't that covered too?

18. NorrisAlan

If that is how it is coming across, that is not what I intend. Please explain how I am making this argument so I can modify my statements.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Congress isn't about roads. It doesn't prolong their careers. Free HC does.

20. NorrisAlan

OK. Not sure what that has to do with the argument, though.