Nearly Half Of Detroit Water Customers Can’t Pay Their Bil

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 23, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine it is some water rights issue that gets carried away. You gather "everyone's water" (rain) into a barrel is no different than damming a river? I honestly don't know, but am just guessing.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i recently got a $1,000 credit for taking out part of my lawn and putting in drought tolerant plants. if i put in concrete i wouldn't have gotten anything even though concrete uses zero water.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The logic is any diversion of surface flow is taking water away from somewhere else. The actual science says we lose 90 % of that water to evaporation before it ever reaches the water table or a surface stream, lake, or reservoir, and that rain barrels aren't storing a meaningful amount of water anyway while greatly lowering water demand from reservoirs (which lose a lot of water to evaporation just by existing anyway). But this is America, and no one seems to care about the science. Even when the law is 400 years old and from the Spanish monarchy. Dumb.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that is pretty dumb. by that theory watering your lawn doens't really matter since it's all going back to the reservoir.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

Would that be the United Nations Committee to end Oppression of Water, or UN-COW?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

If 53 lived out here, he would argue that the state has a vested interest in keeping people on the state's teat for water, as by western water law all water in the state belongs to the state, and is given/sold as water rights or "shares." Those with the oldest claims get first priority and if the water runs out before all water rights are fulfilled, tough noogies. So the state and local governments essentially have a monopoly on water. The problem is this set up actually discourages water conservation, as if you don't use your water rights they go back to the state.

You can sell water rights to others, but usually folks will lease them instead because it isn't like water is going to get less scarce and valuable. Anyway, water law is really complicated in CO, UT, AZ, and NM. Like, thousands of lawyers specializing in it.

7. MWR

MWR Contributor

So if a beaver dams up a stream, do you suppose they would put a tax on it for disturbing the water flow? Watch out for the beaver tax.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's funny. **** the person trying to grow their own food while utilizing the collection of rain water off of their roof on their property. It would be way better to ship it across country using huge amounts of petroleum for shipping, fertilize, and insecticides.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they certainly have a vested interest in getting big users on their system given how the screw people with tier 2 and tier 3 water rates. try finding companies with transferable water rights. it's almost nonexistant. almost all of them are farm related and can't be transfered for residential here in california.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think Nevada has a beaver tax, but has nothing to do with damming streams.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

First rule in buying land. If you don't have water, you don't have anything.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should be nation wide too.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, we are reintroducing beavers because without beaver dams we have increased erosion and flash flooding.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

But out here, you could buy a sand bar in the Colorado river and you still wouldn't have water. It is very different than Eastern water rights which are simply access and non-interference with others' access.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Well it's going to get a little more restrictive here if the EPA passes their new water laws. Which would include our farm ponds into their coverage.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Miami-Dade charges $300 to approve your drawings to connect to county water. Costs $1200 to connect, T tap a 1" water line and sewer is more expensive.

Edit, these prices are if you already have a water main in front of your house

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is too much ground contamination going on out East though. Farmers don't think about the fact that anything that goes into their pond is going into the ground water. Those sink holes are bathtub drains right to it.

Not saying it won't get screwed up by the EPA, but the status quo had some issues. Up in Union County, folks used to throw garbage in their sink holes like it was a damn gully to be closed. Nothing like drinking water that has old appliances and cars soaking in it.

And try talking to a rural farmer about best practices. If it isn't increasing their yield and their daddy didn't do it, you can go **** right off down the valley.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ponds aren't huge sources of ground contamination and they're wanting control of hundreds of feet around the pond not just the water. I have no issue with them watching over rivers and streams but this is over the top.

I agree that a lot of people practice bad management but a lot of them come from the USDA. Manure lagoons are a big example of that with dairy.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My waste water drains straight into the creek behind my house. Tax that County gvt.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Whaaa? Shouldn't you be in jail?