Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Income. The girls "work" and the guy collects the cash. It's a Stockholm Syndrome type of deal I would think.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So they are drug dealers/pimps? Seems like a lot of extra risk for what I wouldn’t think would be profits anywhere close to drugs.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yes, that’s the gist.

4. TennTradition

I’m not sure you’re allowed to make that joke.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And people are well aware of this fact? In Texas? Where everyone has like 27 firearms?

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought Knoxville was supposed to be pretty up there on the list of human trafficking due to interstate 40 and 75.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’ve recently started watching Deadwood on prime.

It’s crazy how many times they’ve dropped [ock sucker cay] or [unt cay] on it so far.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Mules, dealers, prostitutes.

9. TennTradition

It’s odd as hell. I was blown away. Law enforcement knows. They try to get the scoop on the guys running the show. Eventually they bust it up, deport the girls, and within weeks another operation is set up. I honestly don’t get it. Doesn’t seem possible and pisses me off.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Aren’t there laws against knowingly renting your property to illegal businesses? You’d think if it’s happening over and over the property owners could be in trouble.

It sounds like someone needs to go Punisher and just vigilante style kill every man in the building.

11. TennTradition

I’ve talked a lot about that with my wife, who due to her having more time to do it has volunteered more hours toward this and spoken to police about it. I specifically was driving at the angle you are. Apparently there is no liability law here unless you knowingly enabled it. And that is what the cops hope to prove when they raid. But no luck for the most part.

This is where federal cases would help and all the resources and ability to collect electronic evidence become meaningful. But laws don’t allow some of our best tools to be extended to a case like this and frankly it just doesn’t seem we are all that serious about it yet at a national level.

It would seem at a distance that we don’t care that much about it at a local level. But after learning more, it seems a lot of resources go into it on a local level and it’s still a massive problem.

You should have seen my face as we drove down one street here and my wife started pointing them out. Massage parlor after massage parlor with black curtains hanging over the windows.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Still can't wrap my head around this. So these women are essentially prisoners in these massage parlors? Or are they willing participants?

13. TennTradition

I guess I don’t fully know.

They are typically victims of human trafficking. But by the point they are working in these my guess is they’re suffering from Stockholm Syndrome or have other motivations (drugs or promises of a green card) - or live under threat of violence to them or family back home.

Some might sign up for the chance to come to the US and give hand jobs, but it doesn’t sound like that is the case usually.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My former boss bought a new house then rented out his older, really nice house in a nice neighborhood to a former Titans cheerleader. What he didn't know is she was selling steroids and painkillers. She was moving millions of dollars of illegal drugs through his house. He called me one morning early asking if I knew how to install a new front door. I laughed and said yes, why...well the TBI raided his rental and tore it all to hell. He spent a year being questioned before they left him alone. He is perhaps the most clueless man on the face of the planet in regards to this stuff.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As sick as it sounds, a lot are kidnapped as small children and honest to God don't know anything else.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’d be that guy. I don’t even know how to get weed

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ha, I was laughing at him about it, he said "she paid in cash, I just thought she might be a stripper or something"

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Step 1: Find and follow any person wearing tie-dye, driving a car with a Bernie sticker, or who is spouting liberal gibberish.

Step 2: Wait.

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The beginning of this rabbit hole was about what happens to American kids that are getting abducted. This all seemed to indicate they were hanging out in American massage parlors, which seems unlikely.

20. TennTradition

Well we got on to the broader topic of human trafficking and that led me to talk about our problem with it here in Houston.

I don’t know if any non-Asians in the places I’m talking about.

For the Americans, my guess is that it is much more a sex/drug trade behind closed doors than what I’m describing.

I could expound on the possibilities as to why as a country we might care more about American massage parlors than Asian massage parlors, but we can save that for the 2020 thread.