obama basically saying the rich got that way through luck or handouts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jul 16, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bingo. most of the audience already thinks the rich don't deserve to be rich. all this does is reinforce their existing bias. if this was obama's first comment of this nature you could assume that maybe he mispoke. but there is a pattern here of obama arguing the rich "owe" the rest of the country something.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just saying the underlying concept is a fair position, imo. Obviously, like everything in life, it is more nuanced than politicians make it out to be when pandering to a certain demographic. It certainly was not delivered well. It was certainly approached in a ridiculously divisive way. For being such an awesome public speaker, he sure does butcher his supporting arguments.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

By paying for the contract that made those workers and private equipment be there? If it isn't a private toll road, it was built by government funds.

Explain to me how the private entity employing those workers and supplying that equipment makes any money off of building a public road, if it isn't being paid for by public funds? C'mon, that was weak. The Henley Street Bridge isn't going to be a toll bridge, as far as I know. I don't think they are hoping for donations either. They certainly aren't building it for free. So where did that money come from?

Now, how many businesses are going to benefit from that bridge being rebuilt? And so they (and others) collectively pay for it. Christ, since when did anarchy gain a foothold in conservative ideology?

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The money came from you and me. Once again we go to the 2 premises:

1) Money belongs to the Gov't.

or

2) Money belongs to us.

I believe 2

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if he was just arguing that people benefit from govt it would be a pretty pointless speach. arguing that there are plenty of poor people with the same qualities of the rich and following it up saying the govt made them rich makes it pretty obvious he's not just arguing govt is important.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

IP you should know that the eye of the needle, is a small door fixed in a gate and opened after dark, as a door interring the Temple Mount. To pass through, the camel must be unloaded. Hence the difficulty of the rich man. He must be unloaded, and hence the proverb, common in the East and the people of the day understood this.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So who exactly is "the government" in this framework of yours?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I actually am aware of that. I think it fits with what I was saying.

They still use the phrase in muslim Turkey.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Representatives elected by us.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you pay for the representatives and you pay for the road. What's the problem again? Oh, right. The representatives you pay for don't do things the way you want, and the representatives you pay for make you pay more to do things you don't want. It sounds like your beef is more with your fellow voters than with the system itself.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the biggest problem is voters are dumb. no question. the unoins and others can throw money at the problem and it works.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

No; my beef is with a President who believes - "If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that".

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

He should of added, "in a vacuum." Yes, he butchered a salient point to pander to his base. But some are taking the opposite extreme

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am not so sure that he butchered the point. I believe it is how he truly feels given the views of those who influenced him (i.e., his father, his friends, etc.)

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If so, he is a very sad man. Didn't think he was close to his father

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with this. This is the reasonable view of his comments.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i go from thinking he really believes all this garbage to thinking he's a pure political animal. i'm not sure which is worse. one means he literally has zero economic knowledge and the other means he's lying to the american people every single day.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I side with it being pure politics.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The politics of it is taking what he said there, which is actually a valid point if not taken to extremes, and knowingly stretching into something he did not say or mean. This is obviously done by both sides and is just part of the game.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd be all for saying he didn't really mean it the way it came out if he didn't go into how hard working and brilliant all the non rich people are.