Obama's Immigration Action

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I could not agree more.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you could still say that recent citizens can't receive welfare or schooling. take away the magnet and a lot of people will go back since there aren't jobs here for them anyway. California attempted to pass a resolution saying that illegals couldn't get public schooling, but basically the schools ignored it.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Aren't all children "recent citizens?"

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha. I suppose you are right.

5. Tenacious D

Not yet knowing what President Obama may propose, or the details of it, we can't be sure what will happen.

But, I'll predict this: if it allows for any means of allowing these registered workers to either gain citizenship or to vote.....

1. We're going to see exactly what thermonuclear war amidst our two-party system will look like, and it will be grotesque, despicable, bloody and unyielding. No option will be off of the table, for either side, as even the smallest shreds of hope in reaching any compromise, on anything, will have been ground to dust. Literally, no tactic or ploy will surprise me, by either side - nor should anyone else be.

2. Political junkies, such as myself (however novice), are going to look back on this period with both awe and wonderment, even decades from now. This is the kind of monumental issue which define eras.

3. By and large, the President and Congress only ignore one another, or trade barbs in the world's lamest political duel of slap-fights, and President Obama and this Congress are no different. This will be political warfare, an entirely different beast, altogether. And we're all liable to be devoured by it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it is going to be that big of a deal. It will be the political football of the month, nothing more.

7. Tenacious D

You could very well be right.

But the makings are certainly there.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm expecting that I-word to be used, and a lot. And depending on what it in it and follow up, you may see more than just the word appear.

All IMO.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Neither do I, but it will be the biggest thing ever for the duration the info-tainment networks decide it will be and, then, Charlie Sheen will murder a hooker in a crack deal gone wrong, causing nearly everyone to forget the cataclysm of guest worker visas.

10. Unimane

I think, if the Republicans are hoping to set up a second impeachment in as many Democratic presidential administrations, then they are going to hurt themselves more than they realize. Hell, thus far, their best bet on the matter is to let the Democrats operate in the fashion they have recently. They've pissed off a number of Hispanic voters on the issue.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well if you are right, I guess we can rumble tomorrow.

[youtube]WoudYNeVn5E[/youtube]

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Clarify which side is "they've"?

13. Unimane

Democrats, Obama - the people they thought would've gotten something like this done a long time ago as well as curb the high number of deportations.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is no evidence that Hispanic voters have changed their leaning because of this issue. Don't forget that Reagan signed an amnesty bill, yet after the act was passed Hispanic voters voted democrat in HIGHER NUMBERS.

Year Democrat Republican
    1980 (Reagan/Carter) 56% 35%
    1984 (Reagan/Mondale) 61% 37%
    1988 (Bush/Dukakis) 69% 30%
    1992 (Bush/Clinton) 61% 25%
    1996 (Dole/Clinton) 72% 21%
    2000 (Bush/Gore) 62% 35%
    2004 (Bush/Kerry) 58% 40%
    2008 (Obama/McCain) 67% 31%
    2012 (Obama/Romney) 71% 27%
    Average 64% 31%

15. Unimane

They sure as hell can stay home and not vote, which is what happened a few weeks ago. Reagan also signed an amnesty bill that had congressional support, i.e. something that the Democrats were not actively opposing.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they don't exactly vote in mass anyway.

17. Unimane

Their sheer numbers still make them an impactful group. There were 8 million more Hispanics voting in 2012 than in 1988.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which is why the democrats are making sure to not piss them off. but I see little evidence this is costing the republicans votes they would have gotten otherwise.

19. Unimane

The Republicans could siphon off voters from the Democrats if they were to offer a different tact, or at least one that is perceived by Hispanics as one that doesn't demonize poor immigrants seeking better opportunities. There are deep pockets of socially conservative, religious Hispanic people and, likely, fiscally conservative Hispanic people who would be receptive to conservative Republican themes, otherwise.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

disagree. Hispanics also highly favor obamacare and welfare. much higher than the average population. the people you are talking about are voting republican anyway and are ANTI illegal immigration. the anti illegal immigration percentage among Hispanics is almost identical to the percentage voting republican. the same people you are talking about generally entered this country legally too and are more highly educated and richer in the country they came from.