Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I figured there would be a lot more chatter in this thread throughout the season.

I need a RB. Even with OBJ going down, I still have a stable of WR's that I'm open to trading, plus my back up QB is good enough to start in a 10 team league. Somebody hit me up.

2. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

If you need a TE I'm open to talks. That goes for any else in this for that matter. Probably going to be looking to trade Goedert or Fant here soon. Preferably looking for a running back too, though so I might not be your guy.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will be voting against all trades from here on out.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IP "you can call me Al" Davis

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Andddddd a week later...

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, can’t see us striking a deal if we both need RB’s. I don’t need a TE.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think almost everyone needs RBs. And I have Kittle and Gronk.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

a good running back situation is dumb luck, given injuries, use of multiple backs, and the way offenses often are now. folks draft with RB trouble memories in mind, but in the end there is only so much you can do. No one deprioritized that position more than me, and I am still middle of the pack there. you either have a Kamara type or you don't. big step down from there.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, it's definitely a lot different than the last time I played fantasy (like 10 years ago). It's honestly made me more in favor of PPR rules, as it gives RB's additional value, which a lot of times they need drastically.

I've got Kamara, but with Ekeler out since forever ago, and Singletary now splitting carries 50/50 with Zack Moss and losing out on red zone carries, I'm just [uck fay]ed at the RB2 position. I grabbed Giovani Bernard early after Mixon's injury, which has held me over, but Mixon should be back in a couple weeks after the bye, leaving me [uck fay]ed again.

Meanwhile, I have 6 WR's who could legitimately start in the WR2 or Flex position any given week.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

your team is one of the best. it's just a matter of lineup and luck. how many times have you left a lot of points on the bench?

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It is, but a lot of my guys struggle with consistency. Lockett, for example, can go for 25 or under 5 on any given week. Same with OBJ before he got injured.

Honestly, looking back at it, I don't know if I've ever left a lot of points on the bench. You could point to week 4, but my opponent blew out his projection by 30 points, so I was going to lose regardless. Also, It's hard for me to fault myself for starting a guy like Lockett, who only went for 3.9 pts that week, or Ekeler, who got injured and logged 1.4 pts. OBJ on the bench with 34.4 hurts, but he went for less than 7 points the week before and the week after, sooooooo...

My biggest problem has been match ups. I'm 2-4 but have scored the second most points in the league. The problem is that I've also got the 2nd most points against.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Oops, there went George Kittle.

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I'll say that going RB-heavy every year has worked out consistently well for me, "dumb luck" or not. While there are 20 QBs and about 900 WRs you can start in a given week, there are so few RBs that having depth there versus starting Lamical Perine can make a big difference. If you look at value-based drafting results every year, 15+ of the top 25 players are RBs.

14. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

PPR was pushed in the '90s-2000s because the league was so run-heavy that RBs were far outscoring the WRs. The goal was to give WRs extra points to make up for LT/Shaun Alexander scoring 27+ TDs. At this point, with everyone throwing for 5000 yards and running 40% of the time, PPR makes a rich position even richer IMO.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you can get them, okay. But you kind of need an early pick to get one outstanding one.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And even then, there’s a good chance you could lose him for half a season (McCaffrey) or an entire season (Saquon Barkley).

IP likes this.
  17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m in a dogfight in my PPR league tonight. As it stands I’m going to lose by less than a point. I need 24 more yds out of Brady - whichbdoesnt happen unless NYG can go down and score with a 2 pt conversion to force OT.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

the most injury prone and injury affected position

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Look at the number of RB starters injured:

McCaffrey
    Barkley
    Ekeler
    Chubb
    Jones
    Mixon