Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Well, looks like that's about it for me. I needed a win this week to stay in the playoff hunt and I need a miracle to get in now.

Figures the one year I draft McCaffery is the year he never plays.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Didn’t trust the Pittsburgh game to actually be played, and didn’t even notice Thielen was on the COVID list until Sunday.

3. InVolNerable

Don’t know that I’ve ever seen a league with the top 5 teams having the same record, and 9 of 10 teams within 2 games.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, these last 2 weeks should be interesting.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm still holding out hope that Lockett will go nuts. He's overdue for a huge game.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

of the 7 teams ranked above me, my team has outscored 4 of them. just a little too unlucky this year.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You'll pass me this week as well in the "Points For" category. We play next week though, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Hopefully KC will be up 30 on Denver by the end of the first quarter and just run the ball for the next 3.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Woo man, my luck in my ESPN League sucks:

upload_2020-12-3_18-11-8.png

• First of all, the guy in first place is 11-1 and somehow has over 150 less Points Against than the next lowest person. He has nearly 300 less Points Against than me. How is that even possible? In a league where the average score by each player each week is 106, players are somehow only averaging 89 points against him. It looks like a glitch, but it's legit, and it's the reason why he's 11-1, while 2nd-5th place are all 7-5 or 6-6.
    • Meanwhile, I have the 2nd most Points Against for the entire league. Of course.
    • This is also on a team where I drafted Christian McCaffrey, and he's only played 3 games. This is the last week before playoffs, and it also just so happens to be the Panthers' bye week, which means I don't get him back for the playoff push.
    • (I know projections don't really matter) I'm projected to score 134 points this week, so barring an immense meltdown, I should be good to go, right? Wrong. Of course, I am matched up in week 13 against Benny's Boys, who is projected (somehow) to score 140. Only one other person in the league is projected to score more than 120 this week. If he beats me, he guarantees a spot in the playoffs.
    • If I lose this week, I'm not out. I just have to hope Big Boy Henry and the Boys or Team Smith loses. If Smith loses, I'm in on higher Points For (that's the tie breaker). If Henry loses, it will be close. But of course, Smith plays Team Frost, who hasn't updated his squad in 2 weeks and is currently projected to lose 128-55. And Henry plays Team Derosier, who also hasn't updated his team in 2 weeks, and is currently projected to lose 115-94.
    So I'm looking at a solid chance of missing the playoffs in a PPR league with this stacked as [uck fay] roster:

QB - Aaron Rodgers
    RB - Christian McCaffrey, Austin Ekeler, Nick Chubb, James Robinson, Raheem Mostert, and Joe Mixon
    WR - Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, and Chase Claypool

This is why I stopped playing fantasy.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Of course my opponent is starting Tyler Boyd, probably wishing he had ANY other option to play this week.

And of course Tyler Boyd just caught 1 ball for a 72 yd TD, giving him more points at the end of the first quarter than his projection for the entire game.

I hate fantasy.

10. InVolNerable

You are obsessed with projected scores. Yahoo’s are pretty much just player average and opponent defense vs position average. It’s pretty simplistic, and really only good for a general matchup overview. Boyd specifically has only been within 30% +\- of his projected total 3 times in 12 games this year.

Stop being such a whiny little [itch bay] about it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    utvol0427 and IP like this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, I’m not. It’s not about the projection. I’m highlighting that everything that can possibly go wrong for my best team, is.

My opponent’s worst, lowest rated, least likely to perform player had more points at the end of the first quarter than he was expected to score for the entire game. He scored 4 points last week, but had 14 this week, even despite being thrown out of the game before halftime. You can’t make that shit up.

12. InVolNerable

Ah, so it’s not about projected points. It’s about points expected to be scored against the prediction.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You have an expectation in your mind for roughly what a player scores on average. Out of these players, who do you think is most likely to underperform?:

Kyler Murray
    Dalvin Cook
    Aaron Jones
    Tyreek Hill
    Tyler Boyd
    David Montgomery

I’d say Tyler Boyd. And he had 1 catch for 72 yds and a TD in the first quarter. The only TD his team scored because they were a bad team even before being decimated by injuries.

What about second most likely? I’d say David Montgomery. He scored 27 pts. The projection doesn’t really matter, but if you care, he was projected to score 16. Maybe it’d mean more to you if I said this is the most fantasy pts he has scored in a single game all season? Or if I told you he averages 13.6 pts, would that help hammer home the point, which is, and has been, that my best team this year has abnormally bad luck?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Chargers meltdown is rough for me. Got Herbert on one team, Keenan Allen on one team, Herbert on 2, and Ekeler on 2.

Wish I had seen the Lamar is expected to start on Tuesday. Definitely would have plugged him in for Herbert.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Go ahead and throw in Aaron Jones and his [uck fay]ing 77 yard run to ice the game for the Packers, along with the Chargers, who average 23 points per game, scoring 0 against a 5-6 Patriots team. Just endless.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know I'm [itch bay]ing a lot, but with this post, I'm really just trying to express my surprise about something, rather than complain.

After coming back to fantasy for the first time in like, 10 years, I can't believe this sort of thing hasn't been fixed yet:

upload_2020-12-6_19-49-12.png

Dude on the right is fighting for a spot in the playoffs. Dude on the left knows he's out of the playoff picture and doesn't bother changing his lineup for the final week.

How have they not implemented some sort of autofill for these things? Even just filling Thomas for Evans (who is on a bye) and Akers (the only other RB on the roster) for Conner (who won't play because COVID) adds 36 points. Those are the two obvious changes that the site could make without even a second thought.

The tougher one is the TE, but there's actually a pretty easy solution. You can only see one Bench spot open, but he has two. If, at the start of the games, a team has a player with a BYE starting and at least one open spot on the roster, the game should autofill the roster with a player from that position and play him. Easy fix.

The easy fix for Le'Veon Bell is to have the best players, based on projections, plugged in to the starting line up at the beginning of each week. From there, people who are still playing can change up their rosters, and people who aren't playing are at least still putting a real team out there.

Blows my mind that this sort of issue, which can be easily fixed without really negatively impacting anyone, hasn't been remedied.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

who could have foreseen that the chargers suck?

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pass catchers on a team that sucks but has a serviceable QB can often be the best plays in fantasy. Once you’re behind, you have to throw the ball. Even just a couple TD’s in a 45-14 loss by the Chargers could have put me in a much better place in 2 separate leagues.

But oh well.

19. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

To eliminate some of the bad luck, my home league has a rule where the last playoff spot goes to whoever has the most points scored of the remaining teams, regardless of record. I like how it's worked so far.

When the bad luck is something like having a 7-5 record with the best team, though, not many ways around that. My team in that league has Mahomes, Dalvin Cook, James Robinson, Allen Robinson, Jefferson, Diontae Johnson, etc., has the most points by a mile and I think has been at 95+ every week, and depending on Diontae it might be 7-6. Hard to complain much if you're in the playoffs, but I agree it can be very frustrating.

In this league, it would have helped if I didn't lose by 0.2 one week or lose last week when I scored 112, but I mostly just went a month without scoring much and got the record I deserve. I'm just glad to have an (extremely remote) shot at the playoffs.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

the whole season is just about making the playoffs. the playoffs are just about being the last team standing. Seeding is irrelevant in a fantasy environment.

uneven divisions/schedules are an aspect I don't see a way to smooth out.

NashVol11 likes this.