OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got to love clients who get mad because you won't lie for them on their tax return!

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't ever be worth it. People are so short-sighted

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Card, how many times has your advice to a client on how to improve tax position basically been 'be more charitable'? I think we're going to research benefits of starting a small home-based business. Not sure it's the answer, but he said businesses is where the real tax opportunity is right now.

4. CardinalVol

Pretty often actually. Want to cut tax bill? Give it away.

Works even better when older and working with require minimum distributions.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Eating lunch with my son. Good ole boy redneck sitting in a booth with his back to the door and a visible sidearm on his side... sticking out of the booth. Can you make yourself anymore of a sitting duck, brother?

6. CardinalVol

I worked too damn hard to get those three letters. I ain't losing them because of what you "thought" was the law even though it isn't.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I've never understood the mindset of giving to charity to lower a tax burden (I give to chartiy but taxes never really factored into it). Anything you give to charity only saves you your effective tax rate. So you still "spending" more than you would if you just pay the taxes, i.e. I have a 25% effective tax rate I give 10K away to save 2.5K in taxes. I spent an extra 7.5K than if I would have done nothing.

8. CardinalVol

I agree. Here are my rules.

1. Don't let the tax tail wag the dog.

2. If they still insist on lowering tax bill (after having conversation you just said), I say go charity.

It's about to become moot with the 12K/24K standard deductions anyway.

gcbvol likes this.
  9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Your first point is pretty much the advice we were given. Don't let taxes drive your decisions. Makes me feel a bit better.

We'll likely continue to increase charity, but not because of taxes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You're sticken it to the Man, man!

11. CardinalVol

I mean, if it's December and we are doing YEP and you are talking about buying stuff for a business, 9 times out of 10, buy it now and take the write off now.

Same with charity if you are thinking about doing a large one-time gift. If it's recurring stuff, then no. Be charitable to be charitable first.

12. CardinalVol

Happy "Randy Johnson killed a bird day" everybody!

10SEvols and justingroves like this.
  13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He did it ON PURPOSE! He's a murderer. - Animal Rights Crazies

14. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Never got the "look at me" aspect of carrying.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got an ankle holster. The point of it is you don't see it

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Compensating for little penis and wanting to be first shot when something goes down.

I just bought the single stack XDS 45. Loving it inside waist band. And most times I have baby Glock 40 on my ankle.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I’m about to choke slam a dad at Culver’s in Knoxville if he doesn’t control his children.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Love Culver’s.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I do too. People not controlling their kids that are old enough to know better, not so much. My 6 year old son just said, “those kids need a spanking.”

kmf600 likes this.
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Those are some of the most frustrating situations. I can’t imagine how mortified my parents would have been if I’d acted like some of these kids do in public and parents today just tune it out and play on their cell phones.

justingroves likes this.