OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Enough out of you, Saddam.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

prunes and dates suck too.

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So, got some really heartbreaking news on my dog that explains why she's been going downhill the last couple of months.

She got heartworms even though she has been on heartworm treatment with no lapses since she was a puppy. We were using HeartGard on recommendation from our Vet due to her being outside and it's added benefit of protection from ticks.

Vet thinks she's too old to tolerate and recover from the treatment so my wife and I are discussing putting her down as heartworms is a terrible way to go. Tough conversation to have.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've had the conversation 3 times and it sucked all 3 times. Just remember at some point keeping her alive is just being selfish. That's the end we came to every time.

reVOLt likes this.
  5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's what we've come down to. It was gut-wrenching to have that conversation as she was curled up in front of a fire but then she stood up, hacked in place for a minute and then flopped back over and whined a lot. That will usually cement the decision.

But, she could still be healthy enough for the treatment. It'll come down to what the Vet thinks based on her bloodwork and another pretty intensive physical examination. We'll find out this Thursday.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Sorry, brother.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would be the down side of trying?

There is risk, but in the time I worked at a vet hospital I never saw a dog actually die from the treatment (and in this case treatment was two massive injections of ivermectin in the lumbar region and then keeping them confined under observation in the hospital and mellow for 48 hours). I think my personal experiences are not at all typical, as these dogs were all 1) younger than 6 and 2) big. That being said... I dunno. Might be worth a shot.

How bad is the infection? Was this confirmed with the blood test, or did they take any scans/x-rays? If the dog has been on ivermectin (active ingredient in HeartGard, also used in another form in cattle for other parasites), perhaps they have not been very prodigious?

If you think the dog has some years left were this not a factor, it might be at least getting a second opinion somewhere. I also don't think the method back in my day for treatment is the only one, there's something else that is an option as well. And in my day, the ivermectin injections were "new."

I am not a vet. Take everything I've said as amateur hearsay. Where do you live these days? Are you near Knoxville?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, obligatory "shit ain't cheap." I can't remember what the cost was back in the mid-2000's but the procedure was in the 100's of dollars in Knoxville, so in other areas now it may be quite steep. Always get estimates/quotes.

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

$500 full treatment including the overnights. Vet is a family friend and that's the discounted price.

It mostly comes down to her health. Vet took blood sample last week and is having us in for analysis and treatment options. It's hopefully early along which can be judged based on blood work.

We'll go for it if Vet thinks she's healthy enough to weather the treatments.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds like you are in good hands.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm sorry. Good luck with the treatments.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They might pay for treatment if you can show use.

My coworker had his treatments covered by that company.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So, three times I swapped microwave meals around in my hand picking out which one I wanted this evening. Twice I realized I had picked up the wrong meal. As I threw away the container, I realized the that I had picked up the wrong meal a third time. Summarizes my year so far actually.

DC Vol likes this.
  14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Vet said they're submitting the claim and think there is a good chance they'll be reimbursed. Apparently the folks that make Heartgard do not do claims directly with the customers, only through the Vet. I suppose they want test results/etc to verify the medication was taken.

Regardless, we trust the Vet clinic. If they weren't a family friend, I'd be suspicious they would take the compensation from Heartgard and not pass it on to my family.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

upload_2019-1-16_13-9-9.png

For some reason, this is coming up in my adds now.

16. fl0at_

Shit, man. I’m at work here.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. fl0at_

To continue with the world is spying on us belief:

I had my health screening today, and I’m fatter, more blood pressured, sugar’d and cholesterol’d than I was last time.

So the wife said I can’t eat any more brats.

Which I think is bogus, since when I was in my 20s and all I ate was brats, I was healthier. So naturally, I have to conclude that I need more brats.

So that is why you got that lovely image.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Question about the world is spying on us idea:

If I'm looking up things on my work computer, how does my wife receive ads when accessing her Facebook app on her phone of the same thing that I'm searching for at the office? It happens all the damn time and I'm sure there is some easy answer, but I'm too damned dumb to know what it is.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Like two Mandigos and a slew of NYYs.

NYY and gcbvol like this.
  20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

You can likely get away with it, though. All about what you're willing to give up.