OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Any of y'all eaten a cicada yet?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nope and I don't plan on it. However, they are great fishing baits

CardinalVol likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

Hadn't thought of that, but makes total sense.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No but I've had 2 stink bugs that got in my drink on my ice
    Worst insect ever

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

My dog eats about 10 a day.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I still haven’t even seen one

NorrisAlan and utvol0427 like this.
  7. CardinalVol

Does he get sick? Last time they came out our Westie ate a ton and threw up a lot.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nope. She's a beagle. More than a few people around here will eat them as well, though I wouldn't (and try to keep my dog from doing so) because of potential pesticide contamination.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There are none here in Anderson County, yet I go into work and they are deafening.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Can hear them at home from what seems like varying distances but not too close.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They’re all over the GD place at my house, about a half mile west from Northshore and Pellissippi.

1. Loud as shit and the noise changes as the day goes on too. That part is quite fascinating honestly.

2. They move. Sometimes it’s all day we hear them. Sometimes it’s loud when I leave in the morning and quiet in the evening.

3. As soon as the rain stopped today they fired right up.

4. I won’t be eating them.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are mounds of their shells piled up around the oak tree in my back yard. We have the full Brood X experience up here, just tons and tons, they keep coming up in waves. My back yard looks like swiss cheese from the holes. We have all 3 species, I've seen the genital-melting fungus, I pick up all the live ones off the deck and front porch before my wife sweeps off all the corpses and bits of dead ones each day. The sound of them singing is a roar when it is hot. I like them, but most people hate them around here because there are so so many.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a constant traffic jam of cicadas climbing up the oak tree, as well. Just a long line of orgy goers trying to get into tree top party. They suck at flying, but we have noticed the later emerging ones seem to be a bit better in that department. They actually can go from porch to tree or tree to tree without crashing or missing.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I can't ... even imagine a scenario in which I thought about, and then did, eat a cicada. Even if the world was burning, I'd find something to cook over the fire.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am told they are reminiscent of shrimp, if they are freshly molted. Some people do cook them a little.

16. fl0at_

Really? Wow. Because you know what is like shrimp? Shrimp.

If I'm looking for shrimp flavor... I look no further than shrimp.

VolDad and utvol0427 like this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

When is it going to be over?

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've always hated people that eat off the wall shit and claim "it tastes like chicken". Then eat chicken, ya crazy bastard.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

My dog doesn't have tens of thousands of shrimp [uck fay]ing each other all over the side walk, so she settles.

20. fl0at_

I have no qualm with any animal that wants to eat cicadas. Especially if they taste like something they like, and are available. But if your dog makes the argument that they taste like shrimp, I'll make the argument to the dog to just go get shrimp. If it is capable of telling me how they taste, I imagine it's capable of heading to Whole Foods, and lining up at the seafood counter.

Just like the other animal that told me they taste like shrimp.