OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Reading the "my food can't touch" posts, I have to chuckle at the potential reaction to the craze of "food bowls" (FTR, I don't do them). Or watching you fix your plate at a "pile your plate high" family gathering.

As long as you cleaned your plate (as a child) with what one of my grandmothers put on it, she probably would allow you to move your food so they don't touch or eat them one at a time. "Picky" eaters were not tolerated on any level.

Now, if you were an adult, she might call you something less acceptable than austic and not give a shit what you thought.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I detest the hoppy IPA beer. I can't drink regular Bud's "beechwood" aged regular beer. I get an instant headache after 2. I blame it on over consumption during my military service. I don't care for the fruit beers that seem all the rage.

I'm an ale (medium or dark) beer guy. I prefer the malt taste to an overhopped beer.

I prefer a good single malt Scotch or a good bourbon or whiskey. I like a good dark or robust rum that you can drink neat or on rocks.

I will gag if I smell gin (again, a terrible military experience).

I can do a good vodka in a bloody Mary, screwdriver, etc. If I'm gonna drink clear liquor, just give me moonshine.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I like Natural Light.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I'll drink a Natty Light if someone is handing them out. I'd pull it out of the cooler before some overhopped IPA or a regular Bud.

I had a Sarge that drank and bought us nothing but PBR. I laughed when PBR became the cool beer for the youth.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Who hurt you?

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Keystone is better than Natty. Drank a lot of both though. Then I got a job.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All alcohol sucks.

cpninja likes this.
  8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

As I have gotten older (and have the money), I came to the conclusion that quality is much better than quantity when adult beverages are concerned.

A few years out of college, I found that I would rather drink 1 Samuel Smith Nut Brown ale than a six pack of <insert your brand> of American beer.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is it. Then they give it a dumb name like Hopsecutioner

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I like 1 or 2 raw oysters and then I’m done. I usually put a little hot sauce but it’s not a game breaker.

artichokes, eh, take em or leave em. Olives are one of those things, if I tried it in Italy and didn’t like it, I’m just not gonna like it.

A good ahi tuna steak is outstanding. Tuna right out the can (in veg oil) with salt, pepper, & hot sauce is outstanding. Tuna sushi can be good but I find tuna can get mealy and I prefer salmon.

A ball of mozzarella grated yourself and a bag of kraft pre-shredded mozzarella aren’t nearly the same thing.

good IPAs are good, a bunch of them are crap. I tend to gravitate between different beers depending on food or mood. If I had to keep 1 adult beverage it would be bourbon

I don’t have to have bread but I’ll eat Tenacious D’s weight in those rolls from Texas Roadhouse

European chocolate is so much better it’s embarrassing, do better, America.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. I don't drink beer much anymore but if I do it's one I really like no matter the price. I prefer a good quality vodka in high PH water with a fresh lemon (sometimes no lemon), or a good bourbon on the rocks.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If it is on my plate then it will be mixed in my mouth allowing my taste buds an explosion of flavors.

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

There are some things that beg to be mixed, i.e., mashed potatoes and whatever fork-challenged bean/pea. I learned nothing was said if my peas stuck to the mashed taters and went in my mouth vs if the peas/beans fell off my lonely fork and hit the table rather than my mouth. And then again growing up in a family raised or experiencing depression-era life where you ate what was put on your plate. Negotiations as to quantity was allowed, eating it was not. You just had to hide said non-favored item in mashed potatoes or rice to eat it. I guess it was a survival thing trumping any other thing.

I am assuming the not touching or single-item eating does not apply to soups/salads or things like spaghetti and any sauce with protein that is designed to be mixed with a starch, as well as, tacos loaded with their mixture of fillings and other items designed like rice and oriental mixtures. I assume we are talking standard meat & two (or three).

14. HCKevinSteele

Not a point of pride, not ashamed of it either. I just like cheap beer. Natty, Busch, Lonestar, Hamms. I like em all.

Also appreciate the occasional sour, hazy IPA, brown ale and Shiner bock. But mostly I like drinking beer under the hot sun and for that, Natty’s tough to beat for me.

15. HCKevinSteele

I get closer to this position with each passing day. Might eventually hang it up minus a handful of circumstances where I just really like it (cold beer on a hot lake day, bourbon on fall Saturdays, etc)

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

So why are 80% of beers ipa if there aren't tons of people going ape-shit for them?

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Interesting question. It would seem more are buying them that are willing to admit?

I went in one place and all they had were IPAs. I asked are you serious? Surely you have a watered down American beer. Nope.

I said bring me an iced tea.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I had a European acquaintance. I told him, they did not know what they were missing having an ice cold beer on a hot summer day. If he came to visit me, I could set his beer outside and bring up to temp for him if he preferred.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm the same way. I'd rather just have water or a soft drink.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

IPAs suck and all of these people have been tricked into thinking they are good. They only exist to get beer from England to India.

Artichokes - bleh

Bread - give me any and all of it.

Mozzarella - fair point.

Sardines - bleh. Grilled tuna steak or tuna pasta is great.

Dark chocolate is amazing. Also, Reese’s are overrated Twix is the best bandy.