People who constantly quote bible verses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm really having a hard time following your argument here.

Hate? Where did you get that? And how does that fit into your point?

2. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

No argument. I'm just [uck fay]ing with you. I am not a believer, but I don't care if others are. Just don't stultificate science with that bullshiz.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

There is no?

or

There ain't no?

4. CardinalVol

I can handle that. Tough to figure out [uck fay]ing with with serious on the interwebz at times.

5. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

IP will cut your balls off, though.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is precisely why I registered on this site as an "agnostic." I can never "prove" or be certain that there is no divine being or force. I do not claim to be certain beyond any inkling of doubt, therefore I do not technically qualify as an atheist and get picked on at the secret meetings.

That being said, there is, in my opinion, strong evidence that all modern and past religions are equally man-made and that spirituality is a manifestation of the human mind, not an interaction with an external supernatural entity. There is also growing lines of evidence for natural processes explaining much of what we previously assumed to be of divine origin or affect, which leads me to be certain in at least the fact that we live in a universe with set unbreakable laws governing natural processes. Thus, there is no indication for a "god" being intimately involved in a detailed or guided creation. That takes us to a sort of "clockmaker" situation at best, but only if we have the huberous to think we have reached some limit of all there is to know about the natural universe that leaves only room for supernatural explanations. I am pretty sure we are nowhere near our peak ability to understand and describe the universe, and thus I see no reason to believe in anything divine.

Christianity is but a footnote in that thinking process, as I don't think it stands up too well when compared to the other belief systems of humanity through the ages. Seems like more of the same.

7. CardinalVol

I understand your point. I don't agree with it, but I do understand it. It's valid.

I enjoy your stuff. You keep me on my toes.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You guys keep me on mine. Tenny D is like a sarcastic viper, ready to strike on even the slightest spot of weakness.

9. Beechervol

TD is consistent tho. He stirs up both sides.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any weakness in an argument or a defined belief will be pointed out by Tenny D.

11. Beechervol

Prolly would have made a good lawyer.

12. Beechervol

Course he would prolly talk the jury out of a winning decision after he thought about it long enough.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They'd just bring him in when they needed to save a case and get a hung jury.

14. Beechervol

Plead the case and rush him out the door ASAP.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I would love to hear your evidence here. But just because you haven't had an experience, does it mean that no one else can ever have an experience?

16. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Why are the Chinese and Indians going to Hell? Because they weren't born in the relatively Christian West? Serious question.

17. Oldvol75

It wouldn't matter how well or bad I'd explain it. I doubt it would really mean anything to you!

18. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Isn't your obligation, no, your duty, as a man of God to disseminate information as best as you possibly can, without regard for the response surely to be riposted, no matter the creed of the one who posed the question?

19. Oldvol75

Yes, but it also says that I shouldn't argue with people over it either. And just by reading a few of your post, I believe that is where it would end up.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't recall mentioning martyrs, nor the context, but trust that I did (although I dont know why).

I do not recall saying that you had no right to express an entirely reasonable and yet opposite belief.

I do not recall having accused you of infringing upon Christians, alone.

That you see no evidence of supernatural force, outside of your own personal belief structure, is meaningless to others. They simply believe differently - right or wrong, in agreement or opposition. Why should you be the standard-maker for others, and their beliefs?

And just as you exercise your right to non-belief, why are they disqualified for doing the same? Are they not allowed to "go forth, and preach the gospel" If they so believe? Are they wholly unfit for public service in espousing such a belief?

As always, IP, your points are both logical and well-thought out, but the question is not whether you can or should speak out - but, "Why?". Barring something being directed at you, personally, they are neither asking for your input nor require it.

All of the prostelitzing, bible beating, billboard hanging, snake-handling done by believers is just that, a compulsion arising from their own belief - and which they are freely right to hold, just as you are equally free to reject - in the divine.

And just as you would prefer that they not impose their beliefs on you, then how do you reconcile the unfairness of your shoving your non-belief upon them? While atheism may be entirely "logical" to you, and you find their belief to be "illogical" (that presupposes that logic is the only true standard, which could be debated by some, but that's another conversation), are they not equally free to hold an opposing opinion?

Does their simply making said belief known then automatically subject them to your scrutiny?

To recognize the digression of a person's words and deeds is one thing (quoting scripture one day, contradicting it the next), but who or what compels you to be the one who points that out?

What makes you qualified, capable or even the desired choice to bring your own version of enlightenment to the world, IP? That is....other than your own beliefs....and a desire to convince others of their ultimate correctness? And isn't that exactly why you so despise them, and oppose their attempts?

It's akin to trying to beat obesity by promoting anorexia, isn't it?

I think you just hate religion, IP, and would rather it simply be eliminated altogether, and that's why you so often seek to not only confront, but to mock it, and with such fervor and delight. And that all of the other stuff is but semantics to that larger truth.