People who constantly quote bible verses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I find athleists believe just as strongly in their "faith" as born agains. being an agnostic (i.e. religious [ussy pay]) i can see both sides of the argument.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Why?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

understood, but generally all of your friends aren't of the same belief. i've had to hide the posts of some of my friends for this. also do this for the ultra liberal ones.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a matter of perspective at work here. I am considered to be "attacking," "arguing," etc. if I raise a contrary view. Yet, TD, you have already mentioned martyrs in this thread. What exactly were martyrs doing, if not making a hard stand for what they thought was right? To the point of being put to death, even when a simple token mea culpa would have spared them.

I don't feel like I AM being argumentatitive. I am raising what I believe to be a much more logically viable alternative to theism in general. I do not single Christianity out at all. That is a seemingly pervasive misconception here. I don't believe in Allah, Shiva, or the divine nature of the Emperor of Japan either. I wholly and wrathfully reject the concept of monarchies and divine right, much to the shagrin of a couple of atheist British friends of mine. I see no evidence of a supernatural entity or force in this universe, let alone a sentient one. A lack of human omniscience is not evidence for supernatural forces or beings.

A faith that sends people all over the world to spread the good news, is a platform for our national leaders, and puts signs and billboards up telling me their beliefs are the only true and righteous one... why would I NOT say anything?

And more specifically to the thread, when a person quotes Bible as the intellectual foundation for their position on an issue, why is it unreasonable to then apply that same reasoning to their post the next day in which they break that reasoning when it applies to themselves?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The old cliche still rings true: When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

6. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Basic history. Atavisms. Genetics. Evolution by natural selection. Logic. Contradictions. I could go on for hours . . .

7. CardinalVol

So essentially you are taking the Dawkins stance?

8. CardinalVol

You think it's the work of a fallen angel who wants to be God yet can't so he spreads lies to destroy God's most precious creation, mankind?

(I kid.)

9. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I am taking the educated and intelligent stance. There is no being who supersedes space and time and watches me masturbate and becomes angry with me for doing so!

10. CardinalVol

So..........

People who believe in Christianity are stupid and poorly-educated?

11. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Did this angel fall before or after the Sumerians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Chinese, Indians, and Egyptians dominated the rivers of the world whilst the Hebrews were illiterate sand people?

12. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

No. Their belief in the Christian God is likely genetic. Can't fault them for that.

13. CardinalVol

Probably before..........

But I'm failing to see how your mention of cultures established before the Hebrews have anything to do with this. It would have had to been written in real time I suppose?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, like UFO's for example.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dawkins' arguments often end up in the pitfall of allowing theists to insinuate that an atheist has to have all the answers to be able to refute the existence of a god. That's illogical. On the contrary, evidence is needed to make that initial divine assumption. And I said, the unknown is not evidence.

16. CardinalVol

I'm not understanding this one...........(obviously it's my stupidity, please forgive me IP.)

17. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

God hats Haitians and the sex-doll-worshiping Japanese heathens.

18. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Are the people of those cultures not in Hell?

By the way, God hates Haitians and those sex-doll-worshiping Japanese heathens.

19. CardinalVol

I would argue that evidence is needed for for either position to "prove" it, and I don't think the evidence exists for either to do so. As we have discussed before, the seemingly order and details I see in the nature and universe are a place to base an assumption that it was created by a higher power. You see the same and see chaos, thus showing it can't be created.

I say that to say that at the end of the day there is a need of faith regardless of what we believe. One side cannot "prove" it any more than the other.

20. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I disagree with IP's UFO assertion.

Sargon of Akkad jacked off onto a pile of holy mud. His seed grew into the vast and wondrous place we call the Milky Way. We are just his semen.