Peyton Gets the TD Record

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 19, 2014.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the fact that they turned over 2/3 of their roster, hired a new coach, implemented a new defensive scheme and drafted Andrew Luck probably had nothing to do with it.

2. NashVol11

I agree with you, I just think the former is pretty clearly Peyton and the latter, save for the last year or so, is Brady.

3. NashVol11

People criticize him for being a pretty boy, but I don't hear anyone criticizing him for not winning anything in a decade or for choking in big games. Maybe it's just me.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Three super bowl championships very early in your career have a shit ton of inertia tied to them. And rightfully so.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you've heard it of late. but he still has 2 more SBs than peyton and that rightfully goes a long way.

6. NashVol11

Agreed. I'm not saying Brady hasn't earned the praise he gets, but saying Brady gets all this criticism for losing in the playoffs and Peyton doesn't is certainly news to me.

7. NashVol11

Well lately Brady's been criticized because he just hasn't been producing the same way. I agree that that's unfair because his supporting cast sucks--especially compared to Peyton's--but like IP said, before last season, he was the golden child.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A lot of pundits were praising Brady because of the lack of talent around him. It is all there, you just see what you want to see. As a Fins fan, Brady is Evil. And thus everyone loves him and makes him out to be some god when I look at the paper. Poor Peyton is trashed by everyone because he is mine and hales from my school.

We all see through the lens of our own biases.

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

And he should change his last name to Tuck, because that's the rule that made him. :)

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He's the only person in football that doesn't get the "what have you done for me lately" treatment. The passes/excuses he gets from the national media are ****ing ridiculous.

Exhibit A: He played a godawful 4th quarter in his latest SB loss, yet a "drop" on a poorly thrown pass lands Welker under the bus.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The AFC East being the worst division in sports throughout his career hasn't hurt him either.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The only true negativity I saw was from Boston writers. Everything nationally placed the blame on weapons and/or age.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he lost his last two super bowls by a total of what 7 points? perhaps you might understand why that might be viewed differently as losing by 5 TDs and throwing key pick 6s?

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It's hard to lose by more than a combined 7 when the opposition scores 17 and 21 points.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Brady:
    2007 Super bowl - 1 TD 1 int - 82.5 passing rating
    2011 Super bowl - 2 TDS 1 INT - 91.1 Passing rating

Manning:
    2013 Super bowl - 1 TD 2 ints - 73.5 passing rating

I'd say he outplayed peyton in both. Not by a lot surely, but let us not pretend that peyton didn't play rather poorly.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He's lost to two very good teams. One game that you could easily argue should have been over by halftime in their favor and another that was over at halftime in favor of the opposition. I don't get how that's a huge slight against him though when he's compared to a guy that has lost to two easily forgettable wildcard teams.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't like to argue over that one is better because they didn't play as bad. Hopefully my previous post makes my point clear though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the one victory he has was against the worst qb in super bowl history by 12 points. as for them being wild card teams isn't that the excuse I'm always given for peyton losing as huge favorites to wild card teams that it's ok he lost those games because they eventually won the super bowl?

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I suppose you could summarize my thoughts/complaints/anger in saying that I believe Manning should be in the convo for GOAT but Brady shouldn't. My current opinion began as a bias when I was younger at a time when I obviously was a Manning homer and hated Brady. As I get older and more football seasoned though, I think that Brady was merely a good quarterback that just happened to be on 4-5 machines in an era where the league wasn't as competitive. Since his last Super Bowl victory, Brady has grown along with Belechick's multiple set system to be a very good quarterback, but not good enough to beat 2 wildcard Giant teams in low scoring battles in games where his supposed legend was born in.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he beat the greatest show on turf. surely manning has lost to worst teams in the post season then that giants team which dominated a 15-1 packers team at home. I don't see a whole lot of evidence that the nfl is any more competitive today than 10 years ago. if anything there are no truly great teams which should make it easier for manning to win rather than other way around.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014