Prager: Single Payer Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 13, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think half the kids in my Cub Scout den are home schooled and one of them goes to a Christian School. Only two of them go to a public school, I believe.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wait until they find out you're a Buddhist. ...

3. NorrisAlan

Believe it or not, on that matter, they are all quite cool about it. I have made no bones I am not a Christian, and do not even talk about my beliefs to them at all. But they all know.

Hardest part is one kid who insists the world is 6000 years old and anytime I mention anything about geology (was talking about the Appalachians and how they were once as tall as the Rockies but over millions of years they have eroded to their current size), he says, quite loudly, "the world isn't millions of years old." I just nod my head, and say "I respect your beliefs, but this is what science tells us."

His mom was real cool and expressed what they believe and and I listened and it was rather refreshing. I don't understand it, but I don't try to impress my views on the kids.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's strange.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If I lived in a bad school district, that would be one thing. At one point it seemed like there was a chance I may be moving to Jackson, and if I did then yeah, my kids were going to one of the privates there because the schools there are terrible. But I just don't get the whole indoctrination thing. As far as I know, they aren't putting them in sensory deprivation tanks filling them with Marx and Darwin from 7:45 to 2:45.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep, but if you live in a good school district, you really don't have anything to worry about.

7. NorrisAlan

I do wish schools were not so paranoid about teaching evolution.

8. CardinalVol

It is what it is. It's an accepted scientific theory whether I agree with it 100% or not.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Christians get too caught up in the specifics of things, imo. It doesn't bother me how we came to being. However it happened, I believe it was God inspired. To me, that's all that matters.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No way in hell, I'd send my kids to the private school in our county over the public schools.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

All depends on where you are. I hope my career keeps me in a place where I'll feel comfortable with public schools.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Only because the fluoride and chem trails are way more efficient.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

LOL my son was in public school until this year (5th grade.)

My daughter has been in private school the whole time (10th grade).

He attended the school that runs the magnet program. So supposedly its the best.

I've not been happy with common core. Several of his teachers complained about it, as well, to me during parent-teacher conferences.

TN schools do seem to be somewhat conservative. However, I have had to have conversations with my son that were political in nature due to BS from school. He came home upset about something once and the nonsense came from a music teacher. A 3rd grade music teacher has no business spouting PC garbage to little kids.

Another time the lunchroom staff told my son he could not bring certain food to school in his packed lunch. I told him to ignore them and if it kept up I would go eat with him and tell them to their face that I and my wife will determine what he eats not them.

I found a way to get both of them in the private school this year. He would have gone next year or been home schooled, regardless, as the middle school here sucks.

14. CardinalVol

I knew those stupid flouride treatments had an ulterior motive.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The only time that some seem to oppose personal choice is when it comes to a parent determining the educational setting and instruction which they feel is in the best interests of their children.

That parents still have no mechanism to actuate that legal right of educational determination - now, even years since SCOTUS ruled it constitutional - is shamefully disgraceful, utterly inexcusable and wrong.

If someone has a valid argument for why their exercising of this legal right should continue to be withheld from them, speak up, put on your proof and let's have a debate on the logistical, philosophical, and hypothetical aspects of school choice - but the legal question has been both long and well-settled.

What's even most curious to me is how some of you seem to have fallen for the most well-worn and battle-tested trick of all liberal tricks, whereby they espouse an unyielding allegiance to the law, and demand that it be immediately and rigidly applied, and without any exception.... insofar as it supports their bent and aims (however stupidly conceived, and toward whatever imminent tragedy), but then wish to abandon, ignore, diminish or downplay it's overarching necessity to societal and individual freedoms, alike, whenever and wherever it doesn't.

If "Conservatives", "Independents", "Libertarians" and "Intellectually Honest" persons are as equally willing to not only accept this stupidly illogical and uniquely liberal tactic of "when I win, I win - but when I lose, I still win", as some here seem so eager to fall over themselves to embrace, and who have similarly become so discombobulated as to not only support this silliness, but again falling over themselves in rushing to aide their justification of it, how could any mystery remain as to how they've made such gains over the years? As if the liberal's policy of being a real-come-to-life-Robin Hood (robbing from someone to give free shit to another) hasn't been compelling enough - particularly with each subsequent generation of increasingly stupid and lazy Americans whose only expertise is in blogging about their victimhood and collective excuse-making, and who now list animated emojis as our chief export - and has won them sizable ground, it is a mere pittance to that which they've somehow convinced otherwise rational others to simply - and happily - concede, instead.

But the entirety of the belief that someone saying "I don't like this.", "People might make bad decisions with their freedom, and hence, cannot be trusted with it.", "Teacher union coffers and influence will suffer, lest we essentially force parents and students to remain in our already failing public educational system - even while knowing that doing so is particularly harmful to the minorities and the poor, the very people who most need the advantages of a quality education, and who are most at-risk and vulnerable in failing to attain it." is not only invalid, but false, and is no suitable substitute for the law.

You guys can sit in here in a gigantic circle and stroke each other about the virtuous benefit in continuing to deny school vouchers all day long - you'll just all be completely wrong, without a singular exception, and irrespective of however high-minded and well-intended your misguided motives. But at least you'll have each other, I suppose. Enjoy!

**Spoiler Alert: School Vouchers are coming, and sooner than you think."**

16. NorrisAlan

What? Who said a parent cannot control where their kid goes to school?

17. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I used to hold to that view.

I had a professor in college, he held a doctorate in math, and taught calculus based prob and stats, who said evolution was mathematically impossible. This was in front of another math professor in his office. I had come by for some help with a problem and didn't even bring up this subject. Needless to say as a senior in college my mouth dropped wide open.

As for the rest well I dont discuss this aspect of "science" very often. Its like Church of Christ vs Baptist on theological questions.

I will say however, that one should watch the PBS/NOVA episode called the Illusion of Time by Dr. Green, study quantum physics to the best of ones ability, look into the theory of a holographic universe and factor in the fact that the speed of light is not always constant i.e. it has been slowed down in the laboratory.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. NorrisAlan

It has been slowed down due to molecular absorption. The speed of light between molecules is a constant 300,000 kps.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

[​IMG]

Not them.

20. NorrisAlan

Did anyone here? To whom are you talking?