Prager: Single Payer Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 13, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The legal web of America is amazing. It seems so rudderless and unprincipled, but I guess that us a symptom of competing principles

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My worry:

Public school has a class of 20 per teacher (for simplicity's sake).

Teacher makes 45k a year.

Now, 5 of those kids are taken out because of vouchers, and placed in private schools because now their parents can afford it.

15 kids now have to pay that 45k a year, so the tuition goes up, or the school runs a deficit and the government has to cover the costs. If the government covers the cost, again, the non-public parents are paying for schooling their kids are not getting. If tuition goes up, now the vouchers won't cover it, and those parents are a) out of luck or b) have to spend money they don't have on k-12 education. Or the vouchers are increased, raising taxes.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Article of FFs view of public education:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...f05aa5b0-2fed-5c63-be1a-1b013cf49625.amp.html

Adams:

“The whole people must take upon themselves the education of the whole people and be willing to bear the expenses of it,” wrote Adams. “There should not be a district of one mile square, without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves.”

Jefferson:

“[T]he tax which will be paid for this purpose [education] is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance.”

Franklin:

“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

The name of the university is Tennessee Technological University, the states premiere engineering school. This was early 90s. He is either retired or dead.

I have a CSC degree with a minor in English and fulfilled requirements for minors in Math, and Electrical Engineering. Tech only allows for one declared minor.

I know how light was slowed down. That is not the point. You assume its been the same speed from the beginning of the universe. We dont know that for fact and there are theories that it has changed.

Did you watch the video?

5. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

So where did these guys believe the power lay in providing these services?

"“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation and foreign commerce. ... The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement and prosperity of the State.”
    - James Madison father of the Constitution.

Add in the 9th and 10th amendments and the people will decide via their state legislatures whether they have vouchers or not.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Would you then care to provide the impossibility proof, as his living disciple?

I don't assume anything. It's provable. It's emitted radiation. All the components that go into it are able to be manipulated. If the speed could be changed in any way without use of refraction, we'd have discovered it.

Light isn't magic. It's an emission. And the way by which it has been emitted hasn't changed. Ever. It's why we can generate it so easily.

To want to say we don't have the accuracy to measure it exactly, maybe fine. It's still a constant, whether we can fully quantify it or not, just like pi is still irrational, even if we can't go to the nth decimal.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The professor was wrong.

8. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

My children's school has expanded several times over the past decade and a half. It went from a large two story home to a multi-million dollar facility at the home location and offers pre-school services at multiple locations and in different cities.

I do NPO work to help fund my kids. I also do work at the school for reduced tuition. The school charges less than the per pupil funding by the state. Their average ACT score is 27. The states is 17.

What would vouchers mean for me personally? Well I wouldn't do NPO work, work at the school, or pay out of pocket like I did for the first 10 years.

What would it mean for the school? Well they would loose the NPO funds as no one would need them. Their overall funding would increase because many parents are on financial scholarships or working scholarships like I am.

Demand would outstrip availability but there is nothing I can do about that. My political goals dont involve egalitarianism. I believe in ordered liberty and equality under the law not in the private sphere or of outcome.

9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Read the NYT article. I was less than impressed with the data. There are obvious flaws in it. You need a study done after a decade and done on students who start at such schools vs students at comparable public schools. You need to compare apples to apples.

I believe in the end we will have less than egalitarian outcomes. I believe overall things will improve for a vast majority of students. For a minority it will be worse. I am ok with that. Its reality now anyway no matter how hard liberal true believers try and impose a make believe Utopia onto society.

Your lawd and a savior Obama sent his kids to private school for the best education and to insulate them from the proles. I am doing it for the same types of reasons. I believe my kids are getting a better education, the school is committed to protecting their childhood as much as possible and a lot of "disruptive issues" are avoided because most of the kids at the school are well behaved.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Episode you linked has nothing in it about light changing speeds.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There isn't a greater demand for private school enrollment / expansion because not everyone can afford it.

But if the argument is that current schools won't expand, or that new schools won't open, even once the money follows the child, well, there seems to be only one sure way to test that theory....

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Did I pay a dime for Obama's kids to go to private school? Plus, where do you think those misbehaving kids are going to go if everyone gets a voucher? This is the fundamental error made in thinking private schools are inherently better. It's the kids. Having all the kids go to private schools doesn't make them better. All it does is shuffle the problem from one place to another and on the dime of the taxpayer.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most of the trouble kids still wouldn't get sent to private schools with vouchers. If they had that kind of parent involvement, they most likely wouldn't be doing so poorly in school. Public or private.

14. Unimane

So, the public schools become a dumping ground for lesser students, those rejected by private schools for not being able to game the institution academic or athletic notoriety or kids who have unstable home lives, but with less funding as public money gets siphoned off towards the private institutions? Why should a kid get the shit end of the stick because of a bad or inactive parent in order for some other kid to get more perks from public money?

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because there's some really bad situations in public schools that needs escaping.

Why should a kid get the shit end of stick just because he's zoned to a failing public school but has no means to escape it.

There's no magic bullet in this and family unit needs more help and work than schools but we're not heading in the right direction with that either

16. Unimane

Or, you could just implement real effective change in that particular school system or community instead of cherry picking a few kids from the situation and letting the rest wither away in that school while gutting that school at the same time. All I see are proposals to fix the edges of the problem, never the actual problems. I mean, again, why does one parent get to use public money in order to benefit their kid at the expense of other kids?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

In my experience pushing pet projects and bloating administrative cost, is generally the cure all in public education.

18. Unimane

And, pushing public services to private entities, like the prison system, has worked wonders? The problem with education "pet projects" and the like is that idiots such as Betsy DeVos have their plans put into place because of their money and political influence. There are real solutions out there and people who have great ideas, but it's lost in this current sea of testing, teacher "accountability", charter schools and everything else that is a reaction to the symptoms and not the underlying problems.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's not the question. The question is is there currently more demand than space available in private schools. My high school graduates less than 100 per year.

And it isn't because there are only 100 families who can afford the tuition.

For years demand for private education has outstripped supply, and these schools aren't rapidly growing, even though the money is already out there.

All that is going to be done is a watered down private school system. Which private schools already know, and thus have grown in a limited capacity, for decades.

New schools? Fine. On what land? 15miles outside the center of the city? That's targeting the suburban kids who have families that can already afford tuition.

Vouchers are nothing more than someone wanting to get paid back for making a choice to send to private school.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they sent home a book about president trump from my kid's preschool. i'm sure some parents were outraged. ha ha