POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't actually know she is wrong, so maybe you should take your own advice?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I know she's a quarter step away from being retarded.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Narrator: The irony became so thick at that moment, you had to brush it away with your hand.

JudgmentVol likes this.
  4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No, we don’t - that’s true.

But she’s making the claim, and the burden of proof is hers to meet. As a sitting member of Congress, she’s certainly in a position and has the duty to bring it to the attention of her Congressional peers and make a formal inquiry. I think it’s reasonable to expect that, and am glad to see how she now seeks to address and remedy it...if it occurred.

If you or I - two people diametrically opposed on most political spectrums - witnessed that, we’d damn sure get to the bottom of it, and too quick to talk about it. So, I’m comfortable in giving her a chance to now and formally address it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes, she needs to follow up with inquiries, etc.

she is at the border visiting these camps. ya, she is pissing people off and firing from the hip. but where is "leadership?" Pelosi and Schumer are on vacation. I'm not saying they should never take vacation, but maybe not at the same time, and not during what they are calling a crisis.

AOC is a lot of things, but we'd all be better off if they all took their job as seriously.

VolDad likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

[​IMG]

7. Tenacious D

I’d like to be able to take her seriously, but she makes it unnecessarily hard to do. She should be shadowing Pelosi Schumer each day, and taking notes. She’s going to write her own ticket, but it remains in doubt as to whether it’s up or out.

I get that you want her brand of liberalism to rise to the top, but you might not like how that turns out.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Is Congress not to blame for where we are right now with this stuff?

9. Tenacious D

Go on...

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not in full agreement with any of the current brands. I think there are compromises to be found, that people could all live with and evaluate the outcomes of. I.e., reasonable steps. college loan situation out of control? lower interest rates back to previous levels (up to like 6% on "federal loans now, were around 3 when I was a freshman). look at TN's model for community college and tech school, and try to take it national. Tie loan eligibility for a school to that school's former student loan default rate. you have to make the future financial solubility of a student actually impact the school. right now it doesn't.

that's one issue where there are multiple avenues that are ignored in favor of "free college, debt forgiveness".

11. Tenacious D

What do you think lead to the skyrocketing of higher educational costs, IP? That’s a necessary part of that conversation, and a few others, too.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was a combination of factors. one was an increase in demand as lower class folks like myself wanted higher education. another was that competition was based on rankings and perceived brand value calculated by ancillary factors to actual education and career outcomes, and often not price. this led to an ever ballooning administrative/services layer at the expense of instruction and research, as well as continuous campus construction and "updates," cosmetics, etc. Another is a decrease in direct public funding. Another is the amount of capital spent by every school to increase its national footprint, hosting events all over and recruiting all over. in short, nonprofits functioning as for-profit entities hellbent on growth for growth's sake.

to say it is due to student loans alone is to ignore the many factors related to that. it is one of the causes but also one of the symptoms.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get calls from DU about 4 times a year asking for a donation, and UT twice a year. that's students being given student jobs to sit and phone bank alum to milk them for cash. even 1 year after graduation. and they probably get more money than it costs or they wouldn't do it.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The top two factors was an increase of those that could get capital for college and prestige for the universities.

Universities and colleges were all too happy to soak up the money and a lot now have overextended themselves with bloat and administration.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In hindsight, I feel bad for the kid that called asking for money right after we hired Butch Jones. He didn't deserve the response he got, he was just doing a job.

justingroves likes this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The concept of donating money to a school when you still owe money on loans you took out in order to attend that school has always been a bit odd to me. But it never stopped them from asking. I always said I would start donating after my debt was paid off.

But now that I've reached that point, I still find myself not wanting to donate. I'd much prefer for my money to go directly to a particular student to help pay for his education than to give it to the school itself.

IP likes this.
  17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Are there pictures of her crying at the gate, but it was just the gate to the parking lot?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

donating to the general fund just funds more student callers

justingroves likes this.
  19. Tenacious D

Yes, like most things, there are many reasons - but only one is preeminent:

When the Federal government tries to “help” by subsidizing a business with federal tax dollars, the costs of those services not only immediately rise, but skyrocket. Worse, I’m not aware of a single exception to this rule, but would be glad to hear any that you or others may know about.

It doesn’t matter if you’re talking about student loans, Air Force bombers, Veteran services, public education...or healthcare.

And now these same federally subsidized student loans are now absolutely choking your generation in long-standing debt, which cannot be set aside in any event save death or permanent disability, and will continue to do so for years.

You know all of this, but seem to believe that it’s somehow untrue, or that we have an infinite supply of money, and for seemingly any purpose.

Link: https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2017/12/bennett-hypothesis-still-matter/

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know if you just didn't read my posts or are soapboxing.