POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. So even if not racist, he is something the equivalent of it?

Out of curiosity, what would be a racist statement one could make, in your opinion? Like, how would he have to phrase something for it to be racist against one of these congress people?

fl0at_ likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I too would be interested in how this would need to be phrased so as to be racist, for those that do not think it is racist.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If by equivalent of it you mean wrong, then yes.

As for racist - I don’t really want to spend a lot of time trying to think of racist thoughts about them. But statements implying they can’t do the job because of their races, that white people would do better, etc.

You could argue that because he made these comments about people of color and that he is saying they are doing a bad job the. You can make the argument that he is saying exactly what I said above - implying they can’t do the job because they are people of color. But that would mean any criticism of them would be racist as long as they remain people of color.

So why don’t I think that’s the case here? To me him calling out the going back piece is clearly an indication he doesn’t see them as American - as culturally different due to being ‘from’ these countries. That just didn’t read as racism to me and rather continuing his xenophobic tropes - oh, bad foreign places that suck and bring down the US.

He’s played it with Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

Can this mistrust of these cultures be driven by race? Possibly. I don’t think it is for him generally. He has slammed Europe enough to suggest its more than a white supremacy.

I think he half believes this stuff and half knows it plans to the base. The part I believe he hasn’t been able to reconcile is that some of this base hears these things and go straight to race.

4. TennTradition

Leaving out the references to ‘their ‘countries and instead focusing on reasons why they are bad at their jobs that are tied to traits associated with their race as stereotypes, for example.

After I typed this I decided to google to see if I could find words to help me out because as I admired earlier, I don’t have a fully formed view on this.

This resonated with me from the xenophobia wiki page:

According to UNESCO, the terms xenophobia and racism often overlap, but differ in how the latter encompasses prejudice based on physical characteristics while the former is generally centered on behavior based on the notion of a specified people being adverse to the culture or nation.[5]

5. fl0at_

And that distinction hinges on the requirement that the idea that they are from another culture or nation is due to them being from another culture or nation. The supposition that they are from another nation, due to their appearance is the physical requirement you need to move from the former to the later.

6. TennTradition

I see what you’re saying. To see a brown person that you know nothing about and assume she must be from another country is racist.

I’ll agree with that.

I was going beyond that because I don’t think that’s remotely what’s going on here. He knows AOC has advocated for PR, Omar is from Somalia, and Tlaib has advocated for Palestinian issues and he is going to use these things as a wedge to present the idea of these horrible countries and how these women are different from us.

But I am making assumptions there. If I don’t assume that and instead assume he doesn’t know where they are from and just thought - hey these brown people should go back to where they came from, that would be racist.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hes an idiot for tweeting that. I see it more as a gtfo if you dont like it comment, which also shouldnt have been tweeted, I dont believe he has racially motivated hate.

8. fl0at_

No, you are arong. In one instance there is an assumption. In the other, there isn't. He doesn't know where they are from.

The only way you arrive at the not racist one is to assume that he isn't being racist--which is circular, and illogical. He doesn't know where they are from, therefore.

9. fl0at_

You don't have to have hate to be racist.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think he flies off the cuff and says stupid shit, but dont believe he thinks being white makes him better than other races. I believe he thinks hes better tham everybody.

11. TennTradition

Agree it shouldn’t have been tweeted.

His comment outside the White House is what you just wrote.

That was different from his tweet. Very different. He was looking to use their families cultures to drive a wedge between them and ‘America’ along with a general theme of the Democrats - especially these New Democrats - aren’t like ‘us’ (because they literally root for the other team).

This is wrong. We shouldn’t look to normalize it.

12. TennTradition

You believe he doesn’t know Tlaib was born here? Or that AOC was?

That’s a stretch for me.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I believe he doesn’t give a shit enough to know

14. TennTradition

This isn’t just stupid shit. There is an angle here.

Even giving him credit that he knows some of these people were born here, it’s still a bad angle.

Take that away and these guys are right, it’s racist and xenophobic, trying to draw cultural divisions.

15. TennTradition

That’s fair.

I would completely agree he doesn’t care.

16. fl0at_

White as better than other races is supremacy. You can have racism without supremacy. Also, believing that one is better than everybody is not a defense, it is a crutch. "I hate everyone equally," is impossible. Because there is at least one person he doesn't hate, which is himself. And since he's white, that means he sees the ideal as white, aka, him.

17. fl0at_

The guy who fought for a long, long time for the conspiracy that said Obama wasn't a natural citizen? He knows where people are from?

That's a stretch? For you?

18. TennTradition

So is that person a racist or a supremecist? Either way he hates all white people but one. As well as all other people, including all races. Not sure where we are supposed to take that line of your argument.

19. TennTradition

I believe he doesn’t care. It suits his purpose to do it.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I believe I’m better then everyone else but it’s not because I’m white