POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’d also put money on the fact that Trump is pushing Iran to see if they’ll give him a convenient excuse to hit their enrichment sites.

Preventing Iran’s acquisition of a nuclear weapon is an incredibly important element of this Admin’s foreign policy initiative.

This Admin saw the Iran Nuclear Deal as being not only weak, but stupid, as it unintentionally financed those efforts, but more importantly, because it would have prevented a preemptive strike on it, were it to reach a certain stage of completion, and hence, they scrapped it.

We’ll see how it turns out, but my point is that this latest episode of the embassy riots / killing the general is but the latest movement in what has been a consistent policy of the Trump admin and it’s unwavering insistence on a non-nuclear Iran.

If I started hitting nuclear enrichment sites and Iranian fuel centers, I’d expect them to respond.

If someone wants to retaliate, it’s helpful to have a whole bunch of them in adjacent countries.

Finally, if you really want me to worry about an extended effort that could quickly become too sizable to contain, or was intended, put or keep boots on the ground. The more boots on the ground, the greater the chances of such an extended effort, and it lessens with fewer.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

if the claims from the right were true regarding the Iran deal, Iran has already completed nukes. we were told it was 18 to 36 months away approximately 48 months ago, and that the deal would allow them to complete them.

so did Iran become nuclear armed under Trump or were the claims about the deal wildly inaccurate?

It's one or the other.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

hope im allowed to assume part of the 150 billion in cash from unfrozen assets we decided to give to Iran could maybe possibly have been used to fund terrorists and nuclear activities. Call me crazy

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

so they have nukes? Ir the claims were inaccurate? it is one or the other.

Btw, the unfrozen Iranians assets were part of a deal which Trump later withdrew from. that absolves faulting the deal.

Iran just withdrew from it due to this assassination.

5. Tenacious D

First, I’m always going to be willing to give some credence to any argument that involves governmental error. Gladly.

Secondly, I don’t know if Iran has completed a nuclear weapon or not, and would estimate that there are no more than 10-20 people in the world who can definitively answer that question. My instinct - read: blind ass guess - is that if they had something that could possibly be construed as viable, that they would first have to secure and hide it.

Or, at least what they thought was securing and hiding it, as best they could / knew how.

But a single nuclear weapon, or multiple weapons stored in close approximation, or multiple weapons at various stage(s) of completion and/or readiness to deploy do not a nuclear deterrent make.

Nuclear deterrence is only viably achieved when you have enough which are both complete and ready to launch, so as to ensure that one or more could be employed, if others were attacked.

At its core, this is precisely why we have those really big nuclear-laden submarines always at the ready - always at the ready - and at unknown and undetectable locations around the globe.

But it’s also important to never forget that this is just me, some random dude on the internet, and my opinions, taking randomly blind guesses at shit. I have no idea what’s what, beyond what I read and see, and which is available to all, in the public domain.

I can’t personally refute the allegation that Trump just got pissed and killed an Iranian General, that it’s any more complicated than that, or that he’s not somehow being “played played played”. I am certain that there are incredibly smart people involved at every level both around and below the President, who are each perfectly informed, and who are acting on the best interests of the US, even if those efforts aren’t always known or perfectly clear to me. If calamity or tragedy befalls us, it will only be because such could not be prevented and was impossible to avoid. I am as certain of this as the existence of the air I breathe.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

there just aren't very many truly smart people in the world. It is only when you systematically bundle non idiots that someone starts resembling a smart person.

I worry that the top is very isolated right now, and the bundles beneath them aren't as thick as has been in the case in other administrations.

I think the truth is that the distance between an ivy league expert and an average joe is small. but bundled, the small expert advantage multiplies much higher.

I'd like to think we can avoid a nuclear iran and war. I don't understand how the current course can avoid both, and isn't forcing one or the other.

7. Ssmiff

You think Iran has been straight up? Come on. Watch Homeland, but ff thru Carrie breaking down.
    And I know they withdrew. We killed a terrorist responsible for the deaths of many. You can't decide to back away from killing terrorists because you are scared how his buddies will react.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

did you just recommend I watch a fictional tv show to see that Iran wasn't being "straight up?"

I don't think Iran was even the villain...

9. Ssmiff

Dont you dare shit on Homeland.

10. Tenacious D

That’s fair, but particularly because I understand your beliefs on Trump.

I can only say this - Trump’s entire persona is unflinching in the face of criticism, and he’s nowhere nearly as isolated as you may fear.

My love for America and Americans is preeminent, but by no means exclusive. Human life is sacred, deserves preservation and protection, and war is unavoidably anathema to both that belief and those efforts.

Armed conflict should be avoided at almost all possible costs, and even then, only when it is compulsory, meaning, all lesser means have failed or cannot be reasonably deployed.

The achievement and maintenance of a peaceable coexistence should be the unceasingly hopeful thoughts and prayer of all people - and just as importantly - that we demand that those ideals not remain amongst the purely sentimental and theoretical, but be put to good-faith action, whenever and wherever possible.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't. you said to FF through parts, so you at least crop dusted it.

12. Tenacious D

Bump.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Great googly moogly -

14. Tenacious D

There are much better places than Iraq, and in that region.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not that we're leaving (let's pack up right now). That a memo/letter got out that wasn't supposed to get out and made the rounds, including the Iraqis, and that we had to have a press conference to deal with it.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What happens when the White House is seemingly run by a clown car full of advisors that have no clue what the President is going to blind side them in a tweet with.

17. Tenacious D

I can see how you’d prefer to believe this, but it’s not true.

The Pentagon has its problems.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rocket attack on US base housing in Iraq.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Getting rocketed at a base overseas is kind of a ground troop tradition. You ain't been deployed if you haven't been rocketed, RPG'd or mortar'd.

20. Tenacious D

[uck fay]ing Marines, man.