POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Been hearing John Gruden recently bought some property in Washington DC.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He just took over his brother's house payment

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Who did? Biden?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You missed the joke. Jay Gruden was the Washington Redskins HC, he got fired last year. Dooz said John bought some property in DC.

5. Tenacious D

Ah. Sorry, I don’t see Dooz’s posts.

Indy likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

As you can tell you are not missing much.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

SpidermanpointingatSpiderman.meme

8. Tenacious D

I didn’t think so, but I’m sure that there’s always the griping about sacks that aren’t being hackeyed.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. faildozer

faildozer Member

beep beep

TennTradition likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Legit LOL, dipshit.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ouch.

Faildozer - 1
    Smiffacious D - 0

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Always like getting shoutouts.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Twitter fact checking the President now and he doesn't like it. Threatens to "shut them down".

Good luck with that, Mr. President.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That was a stupid move on their part

15. Tenacious D

You might be surprised how this turns out.

Some would argue, perhaps quite successfully, that assuming editorial control passes the rubicon from being a mere “content platform” to a “content creator”.

And Twitter is going to deserve every ounce of what they’ve practically dared to come to them.

And this on the heels of the State AG’s preparing to go after Google.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They've crossed the line of open forum that keeps them for being liable to wanting to play publisher.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

To the best of my limited, non-expert knowledge, there is no legal distinguishment between a "platform," and "publisher" or "content creator." It's made up internet talking points. I am about to be humbled, I guess? I am not a lawyer. I'm ready to read up on where this is codified in the law and coming to understand how this wouldn't be an infringement on the First Amendment.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Section 230 of the communications decency act

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

No distinguishment is made there between "platform," "publisher," or "content creator." It defines an "interactive computer service," which can't be treated as the publisher or speaker of 3rd party content. That kind of language flat out isn't there.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Of course, the important part is not the president tweeting nonsense and slanderous murder accusations/insinuations towards a prominent critic in the media, but that he was corrected on it which has some apoplectic. It should be noted the origins of "fake news" was not Trump, but these ubiquitous, and blatantly obvious in most cases, phony stories on social media. Do I have any issue with Twitter, Facebook, etc. having a label which notes links to demonstrably false stories? Nope, not at all. And, that goes for some of the left wing absurdities out there, too.

Now, in my mind, this does not include people interjecting their opinion about items which are incorrect, false, whatever. That's merely the discussion we all have. But, cutting down on the bots and identifying the clearly false stories and conspiracy items goes a long way towards dealing with the epidemic of disinformation on social media.

This reminds me of a hyper right wing friend I have on Facebook who persistently posts memes/gifs on all kinds of shit, only to have gotten pissed off the past few weeks when the site has identified her link as false. She complained about conservative bias and leaving Facebook for conservatives to start their own social media site. I tried to point out to her memes were the absolute lowest form of information and almost always full of misinformation (The post she gave quoted Hitler and Facebook noted he didn't actually make the quote) from whatever political perspective it presented, plus was the sort of thing easy to monitor and limit. She kind of understood, I thought, and then did the same thing the next day, [itch bay]ing again about censorship.

JudgmentVol likes this.