President Trump's First 100 Days

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 13, 2016.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

When did Trump move ahead in popular vote? I do agree with your point.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sometimes you say some really good stuff.

Other times, not so much.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

With all due respect - I can't recall a single candidate - ever - who was more thoroughly forthcoming about precisely what he intended to do once in office, than Trump. He's listed his SCOTUS nominees, he's released his first 100 day plan and in great detail, etc.

4. Tenacious D

I think he's more akin to a constructivist - takes most issues on their merit. But I could easily be butchering either end of that.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what I want

6. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I'm glad we now have a few more topics than just Butch.

[​IMG]

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agree. Get them in the tent and listen to ideas. Pass on his own. Tell them corruption is a target as are perpetual politicians.

8. Tenacious D

Blocking is not advancing, it's stasis.

On which particular matter? What he intends to do, or how the GOP always tends to chase the approval of the mythically moderate view that the Dems convince them must be achieved? Which particular parts are "myopic" and lend an air of "victim mentality"?

Do you mean to imply that a desire to work together is unique to you? The Dems? Ask any Republican how sincerely and earnestly they believe that the Dems have ever sought a consensus, when they have a position of strength and leverage. Believe whatever they tell you.

I'd love for Dems to get aboard with President-elect Trump, wherever and as often as they possibly can, as it's best for America. But I'd suspect that when many Dems say "reconciliation", it means that they expect the GOP to now relinquish their agenda for one of their conjoined making. That's not normally how politics works, and I wouldn't expect it here....no more than the GOP should have expected it 8 years ago. Elections have consequences, someone once famously said.

That's what is about to happen here, IMO, particularly with all Houses, and now that claims of racism / sexism / bigotry won't decide the outcome of every debate and action.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why just two people contracts? I can enter into lots of contracts. With all kinds of people.

If it's a contract, it should be a contract.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Agreed

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

He's probably more Nationalist than anything. I think he's more socially liberal than most political conservatives, but fiscal conservatism is dead. He's not a politician so perhaps there's hope, but I'll believe it when I see it.

12. Tenacious D

Agreed.

And this matters about as much as the Dems will lead you to believe, which is about as much as touting any stat as being more important than the final score.

13. fl0at_

Tell me your thoughts on just letting Congress take a four year vacation and just letting the White House take charge on all matters of law, and how this country will move forward.

Because it seems like that is what you want. Except that when you sit back and think about the hell that is... it's a hard pill to swallow.

Now if that isn't what you want... then you want some form of reconciliation.

14. Tenacious D

Well, what did President Obama get done with the Legislature in 8 years?

15. Tenacious D

I think that a Trump Administration will seek to work with everyone on anything - Congress, states, GOP, Dems, etc.

But I don't think he'll abandon his agenda to do so.

Whether he should or not, and to what degree or upon any given issue, is certainly worth a debate.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe it does matter when you talk about "mandates". Trump won. No one can debate that. However, how much "mandate" he has is very debatable.

17. fl0at_

Opposition. Thankfully.

18. Tenacious D

I'm honestly not poking at you here with semantics.

When you control the White House, the Senate and US House, it's a mandate, if not in word, then certainly in deed.

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Reagan had a mandate... Winning 51% of the popular vote is not a mandate. As long as the EC is a winner take all setup you can't say anything less than 400 is a mandate either, imo....

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I said exactly what I meant. It's not terribly difficult to figure out, nor is there any hidden meaning in my words.

You refuse to recognize the plank in your own eye because you're too busy pointing to the splinter in others'.

Again, simply, jmo.