Proposed CFB rule change

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Feb 12, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Didn't think of this, but it's highly probable that is what happened.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He hates the fast offenses and his opinion carries weight, but not height.*

1) I think that the increasing pace of play will be around and trending towards the norm so long as the NCAA doesn't enact special-interest rules like this to solve a problem that isn't a problem.
    2) I think this (i.e. faster play) is actually a good thing in that it will have the ancillary effect of emphasizing endurance and speed over size, which will reduce the concussion problem to some extent, even if just a little.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But they don't and that's where this problem can be solved, not by adding another rule. Some crews try to match Oregon's pace and some crews take their sweet ass time.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It reminds me of Randy Sanders offense in 2005.

I don't have a problem with the offense hurrying and getting set quickly so the defense has to hurry too, but **** me, get the offense working before you try it.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can't believe you didn't know what a tiny man Saban was.

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

This rule is a damn joke. I hope it gets shot down. I agree with Ainge, how can you say this is about player safety and number of plays in a league with unlimited OT's? Sorry if guys like Saban and Bielema don't like fast paced offenses but they're smart enough to figure out how to stop it rather than [itch bay] about the rules.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have yet to seen a crew that hasn't matched oregon's pace. And if they ran to set the ball in a USC Stanford game too I'd not have a problem with it

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You watch more Oregon games than me. I can't think of one, other than the 2010 NC game, where they didn't sprint.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Some tweets from Hat's favorite coach:

@CoachGundy: The no huddle, fast tempo style has changed the game of CFB. Our sport has exploded in popularity with high scoring games & packed stadiums.

@CoachGundy: Why change our sport at the peak of its popularity

Our sport? All the real programs in the country managed to fill their stadiums without gimmicky offenses. Guess he forgot about that...

Personally, I hate gimmicky fast tempo offenses. Not letting the defense substitute or get lined up is garbage. Line up and smack your opponent in the face. That's how football was meant to be played.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can't stand Gundy

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, the whole point of football having plays is that the two teams line up strategically and go at one another. Too high speed, and it might as well be rugby.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Anyone who has had to sit through a 4.5 hour game because both teams are running a no huddle offense will tell you there is such a thing as too much football. Stanford USC was one of the highest rated games of the year and that wasn't high tempo.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't understand your first sentence.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Games take forever when both teams are playing chuck and duck football.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I like to think of it as the difference between chess and speed chess.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Cal's average game was over 4 hours last year because they run so many plays. When they played Oregon it was 5

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is an apt analogy.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's way too much passing.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's really ridiculous. have to complete a dozen passes to score because all of the routes are 5 yards. I have no idea how he led the country in offense at ltech.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

fyp