PS4 or XBox 1?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LawVol13, Jun 18, 2013.

1. You would still have to pay for PS+ although the free games would be nice.

2. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

To me, it means that there is actually a second option. The Xbox will still cost $100 more and require the Kinect to be plugged in though. It will still be slightly less powerful too, but I doubt that there will be a real difference in the games. Microsoft has successfully un****ed themselves though. I'll end up with both systems eventually. I couldn't say that before today. There were some real dealbreakers in there. Not any more.

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Do people really believe Microsoft will be spying on you with their kinect? Everyone keeps bringing up how it's a negative having to have it hooked up.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I'm just uncomfortable with any live camera looking at me at all times.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

"Spying on you"? Meaning a person remotely accessing your camera?

No. I don't think that Microsoft will be using the kinect to peer into your living room....but they could. And, as if that isn't enough, it may actually be the least of the immediate concerns that potential users of the new XBOX1 should have, given the latest patent they just applied for, summarized as:

And, if Microsoft's intentions are not clear enough, here's a handy diagram, taken directly from their patent application:

[​IMG]

Link: Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA | ExtremeTech

6. Tenacious D

1. Read the user's license agreement. Pay special attention to the part which (undoubtedly) reads, "Microsoft may change, alter, amend or revoke this license agreement, in whole or in part, at any time, without warning, and at its sole discretion"

2. Be gently reminded that just because something is disabled does not preclude or prevent it from being re-enabled, later.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Your second bullet is where I am concerned with MS's "new changes". They have been very clear where they want to go as far as DRM. Will not surprise me in the least to see then change policy 6 months to a year after release.

8. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Wtf does this even mean? Only place that could apply is like Netflix or something.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

And Microsoft can go ahead and spy on me for all I care. I will gladly show them my meth lab and consume illegal drugs and all sorts of illegal things in front of the camera... while NAKED.

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Banana hammock and a bag of cheese balls

11. Tenacious D

No, it would encompass any media or format that the XBX1 used...movies, games, web content....pretty much "every reason you bought it" is subject to it, and could be regulated based on number of person(s) in the room.

Imagine not being able to play a movie with more than 2 people in the room, unless you buy an additional user license, that is.

I don't make any money off of PS4 sales, nor do I really care which system some may prefer more than another - but at this point, buying and XBX1 seems but little more than folly, with a great chance that it will only get worse with time, and neither its controller config nor the Halo title is going to overcome all of this in the mind's of most buyers, IMO.

That they've so quickly changed their approach (if only temporarily) is only further evidence the sincerity in which they must feel that PS4 is not only going to win the day, but may very well render them obsolete - like a modern day Dreamcast. Or Pong.

The damage is done, and they've got nothing to blame but their own greed and stupidity. I see no reason to keep riding a ship that seems so hell-bent on sinking.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Someone would find a way to block that type of restriction within the first day of the xb1 release if they were actually going to do that.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Yeah, I was thinkin about it last night and even though they changed the drm stuff I'm still leaning toward ps4 mainly because of the camera. I'd heard rumors of the license for more people in the room deal, but Chalked it up to rumors. This puts me off the Xbox one again.

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

What's to stop someone for turning the kinect around backwards or places it in a box behind your tv stand?

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Could they set it up so that it must detect someone in the room to function?

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

That's the idea.

17. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Scene: Mech style game. Left trigger shoots RPGs, right trigger shoots gatling gun.
    When you pull the left trigger, you feel one big BOOM in just your left finger. When you pull the right trigger you feel a constant pop, pop, pop, pop.
    Same thing with like a heartbeat. They can time it to where if you were holding a scoped weapon and you had to hold your breath, you would feel the faint heartbeat in the triggers, going from one to another.
    These were little tech demo's they had at E3. It was pretty impressive.

This is regarding the new ps4 controller.

18. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Place something in front of it that gives off heat. Not to mention when I had a kinect it didn't even cover my whole living area.. Only 1 section of the L shaped couch.

19. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

The new kinect can read your heartbeat. I'm pretty sure just sitting something in front of it with heat won't work.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Their DRM strategy is the future when it comes to digital downloads (which is still in effect you can't trade digital games), its just unpalatable with physical disks. That's how Steam currently works and no one has an issue with it. I'm sure they'll try to transition to more digital games as we get further into the console cycle.