Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I wouldn't be shocked to see him give it up. He's already 42 and towards the end of his career, so easy to see how that crash could make him call it quits.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Didn't realize he was that old. NASCAR drivers ages always sneak up on me. Like Johnson saying this was it full time driving, me thinking he's like 35 and wondering why, then seeing he's mid 40s.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Great news. The safety measures in the cars have come a long way.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That is a well reasoned thought for normal folks like us, but race car drivers are not like us. They are just wired differently.

James Hinchcliffe was basically dead in his car following a wreck, and the first thing he wanted to know after being revived and surgery was when he could get back in the car.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'll give you that they are wired differently, but after some research, Hinchcliffe was in his mid-20s. Big difference as to a wreck like that affecting you than when you are in your 40's and have kids. But we will see, because as you say, they are wired very differently.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Check out Scott Dixon and his wreck in the 2017 Indy 500. He walked away, basically injury free, but has a trophy wife and two (at the time) kids, won everything there is to win in IndyCar at 36. Literally nothing to left to prove.

If watching your friend die in a racing accident, driving the same car you also drive, isn’t a deterrent, nothing is.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Look at Mario Andretti flipping his car at Indianapolis, in his 60s, circa 2003.

Fortunately for him that scared him straight and he never strapped in again, but he was 62ish when he realized it!

One example of a driver walking away early was Rick Mears. He retired one year after winning his 4th Indy 500, still in his prime at age 40.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

Different sport, but I remember when Teddy Bruschi played again after he had a stroke. At the time I thought he was insane. Now, well, I think he's still insane but I understand why he did it.

The Dooz and Tenacious D like this.
  9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Amazing...

The Dooz likes this.
  10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Was that the crash in the short chute between 1 & 2 where he damn near landed head first on the inside wall?

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes. And he had *literally* nothing left to prove, but strapped in the next week.

That was wild, because where we sit, I saw it start, but then they disappeared off of my view, and swear to god my heart stopped in the second it took me to move my eyes to the Jumbotron and see the feed pick it up from there. And even then I wasn’t okay until I saw him move.

Also, there was a photographer standing right where he hit the inside wall upside down. You can see it in some of the pics. I imagine he didn’t wear his drawers home that day.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I literally can’t like this enough.

13. CardinalVol

Absolutely amazing.

[​IMG]

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd forgot about the photographer. I'm pretty sure his pictures from that crash are floating around online somewhere.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ken Schrader on the Dale Jr download this week. It’s absolutely worth the listen.

16. CardinalVol

Im going to need a driver to put everything in for the foreseeable future. Who are my best options?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t think they’re actually going to race this weekend, but IndyCar > NASCAR if you or anybody is legit crurious.

utvol0427 likes this.
  18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And the correct answer for Indycar is Josef.

The Dooz likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

I'ma gonna need both. I'm already suffering major sports withdrawal.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Like many this is my favorite sports month. Madness, TPC, sec tourney, kids lacrosse in full swing, some hs and college baseball.