Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

That’s an understatement. Didn’t at one point he go like five years without saying anything?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Something like that. Years. And I think he has gone years between questions more than once.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The figure justices were discussing was 6,000 dollars, which in the context of Tennessee would be less than half of the ticket revenue from a single home game for the entire roster. It's a paltry amount in the context of D-1 football.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't think the issue is paying P5 football players. It's everyone else at all schools. I'm good with it, but we have to understand going in, it will kill some sports.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If a school doesn't have a revenue stream from it, they don't need to pay. And ya, they won't be competitive with those who do... but they already are not competitive with them.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm looking forward to the outrage with women in nonrevenue sports are complaining about the men getting all the money. Will be like the USWNT

lylsmorr likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Quite frankly the NCAA could just rid rid of the stupid NLI rules and I'd be fine. Let the players earn money if people want to pay them.

utvol0427, lylsmorr, IP and 1 other person like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. Let Saban Mercedes-Benz let the players wash cars for $500 an hour and test drive their cars. I don't give a [uck fay].

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, that will be a problem.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is my concern, as well. We always get caught up in the higher end, like the less than 1% of basketball players who could jump to the NBA from high school or the millions in a couple of sports, while sometimes forgetting the value of these lower level sports to our society. I'm certainly not for cutting out football and basketball players out of the pie, but I also don't want an arms race where those two sports are, essentially, the only ones considered affordable to an athletic department.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

But maybe conferences and travel schedules that stretch across the continent for many sports and expectations of specialized dorms and food services is, uh, part of the problem with unaffordable things.

12. Unimane

And, how would this mitigate that problem? The conferences which stretch across the continent are big money sports related and as revenue becomes more important, it won't be cut back, in all likelihood. The big sports don't get cut, generally, but the soccer player or track athlete will bear the brunt, eventually.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Brett Kavanaugh making a workers’ rights argument is real bad for the NCAA

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Well, Rick Barnes is a lot better in the NCAA tournament than the NCAA is in a courtroom

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Big money in volleyball? Big money in soccer? No. And that is my point. The big money conferences make the big money in all of 2 or 3 sports. Yet all dozen or whatever competitive sports compete within that giant footprint.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

"compensate workers" was settled in North v. South (1865), and doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation.

emainvol likes this.
  17. Unimane

Yes, I know. The concern I suggested is, if the restraints on paying players is released, there is a possibility the rat race to attract players through payments significantly increases, possibly undercutting necessary funding to keep other sports afloat. I'm not saying this will assuredly happen, but I would like this t be considered, addressed, whatever. I don't know, a salary cap of sorts or a requirement for a certain percentage to go to different sports or something. I do want the players to be compensated, but I don't want the ADs around the countries to become similar to franchises, either, valuing sports based solely on revenue.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

However, this is the bed the schools have made for themselves.

I would seriously take the school out of the equation, let the players just make money however they want to outside of sports, no holds barred. Want to sell your likeness to WBIR? Go for it. Want to make money off of EA Sports NCAA '21? Do it! Want to make $400 an hour baby sitting the Haslem's pet gold fish? Good on ya, mate.

lumberjack4 and IP like this.
  19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Feel like title IX would force equal total payouts to make/female athlete pools.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a reality that has to reassert itself. That reality is that some of these sports are more of "club sports."

A-Smith and Volst53 like this.