Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

8 is a good-ish number on paper. Last few years 4 has been almost too many

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Across two consecutive years, there have never been 12 teams worthy of a shot at a title

I like flexibility. If there are two G5 teams that are undefeated, face them off and put the winner in a 3/6. If there are none, give the spot to #2 in the SEC West. If the Pac 12 has a joke season, don't give them an auto-bid. Keep it around 6, 1 + 2 get byes.

Forcing 12 teams makes no sense to me. At least capping it at 4 makes it manageable schedule-wise.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea. With that being said, if part of the idea included eliminating conference championship games and removing one cupcake game* I would hate it less.

*Even though I know doing this would be disastrous for small programs which is a bummer.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

[​IMG]

5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

It'll be super fun for the bottom 4 or so teams to get mollywhomped every year, I guess with the exception of 9-3 SEC teams kicking Notre Dame's ass.

justingroves likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's expanding, the only question is to how many.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

There have never been 8 teams deserving of a shot at the championship in a season. Ever.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

No. I feel like it shuts the whiners up for the most part though

IP likes this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

waiting for the #1 seed to lose it's starting qb up 21 points to boise state. that should be fun.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hell there are rarely more than 2.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Our team is better than the #8 team, why didn't we get in?

It just shifts the whiners down a few sets, but the whining will still happen.

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah but maybe #5 might have a case, #9 has less of one

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not about deserve, it is about leaving no reasonable argument. If they are going to call it a playoff, every team at the start of the season should have a clear path within their control that isn't decided by a committee or voters at the end. There have been many examples of undefeated or equal loss teams being left out to where Ohio State gets a shot but some team who hasn't choked in the playoffs for half a decade straight never gets that opportunity. The top heavy nature of college football is killing the game, an 8 team field allows for that top tier to get chipped down a little; for upsets to happen.

SetVol13 likes this.
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

More teams in playoffs = more meaningful games. And while I'll watch a meaningless bowl game, a 7\10 game would be more fun.

Plus, you get to 12 teams and there's a chance that maybe the talent pool spreads out more over time.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

There shouldn’t be a playoff. BCS worked perfectly. The only time there were ever actually three legitimate contenders, Auburn got the shaft. That is a perfect system in my book.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah I think 4 covers everything perfectly. I’m okay with the 4/5 play in game for the top undefeated mid major.

But if there’s no one it being 4

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Until Tennessee is good again, I am for chaos

warhammer, cpninja and IP like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

chaos is a ladder

emainvol likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

Tennessee and the Ladder of Chaos