Randy's Rants - Confederate Flags

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Jun 21, 2015.

1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Nice post, RB. I agree that the flag's place is in a museum setting and don't see any other.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The Confederate legacy should be the same as Benedict Arnold and the Rosenbergs. Treasoners one and all. They should have been treated as such. The Confederate flag has no more business flying on state house grounds than the Union Jack or the Swastika. The Confederacy was just another group of losers vanquished by the United States.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Refresh my memory, the South lost, right?!? Get rid of the dam flag.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Are you saying they offend you?

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It does look pretty cool.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I find them offensive.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Who is included in your definition of the Confederacy? I don't really think the blanket statement works.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Actually it could look like any of these 3:

[​IMG]

What most call "The Confederate Flag" is actually the Confederate Naval Battle Flag. The army battle flag was like the naval flag, but square and with a 1" white border around the edge.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. JayVols

Read "Stonewall Jackson" by James I. Robertson, professor emeritus at Virginia Tech. It's a biography that reads like a novel. I'm not a big reader, but that book is amazing. Most comprehensive examination of Jackson out there, imo. It's long though. 600+ pages. If I read that much, you can bet it's interesting.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  10. JayVols

Read the Jackson book I talked about in my last post. If you like minutiae, you'll love it.

11. JayVols

Should have read ahead...... I agree except I would highly recommend.

12. hatvol96

Anyone who took up arms against the United States. I see them as no different than ISIS.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It shouldn't be flown by any self respecting state government.

I have no problems with individuals that want to fly it, it's their land and they have a right to do it.

I also have no problem with it being used as a museum exhibit.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Took me a while to read it but well worth the time.

Most interesting figure Ive read about in that era.

15. hatvol96

Stonewall Jackson: Just another terrorist put in the ground by the Red, White, and Blue.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

For the record, I knew damn well that there were 3 confederate flags. I chose the First Confederate Flag because it was the one first flown over South Carolina. Just to set the record straight in regards to Float "disagreeing with my history (whatever the **** that means) and Jay's "actually..." as if there was something wrong with me posting the First Confederate Flag when discussing the history of the first state to secede.

Yuh bastards.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have never been that interested in the minutia of the Civil War. Which is sad, as I think it was the kiln that hardened the United States and made it what it is to this day. It would seem to me it was the last death throw of the individual States still thinking of themselves as individual countries and finally accepting themselves as part of a much bigger country.

Perhaps I just cannot get over the stupidity of how the war was fought, especially the first year or two (Napoleonic Warfare with rifles was not the best moment in the history of warfare).

18. JayVols

Actually, his own guys from the 18th North Corolina infantry put him in the ground.:)

19. JayVols

Haha.

South Carolina is a different breed. As a former reenactor, that wore blue 97% of the time, those South Carolina guys are batshit crazy. I was always fascinated by the era and wanted to portray the history for others while deepening my own understanding. 99.9% of South Carolina reenactors have no interest in portraying history as it happened. They always tried to rewrite history. It's really pitifully sad.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah, sure, very reasonable viewpoint on your part.