Randy's Rants - Confederate Flags

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I would agree and, to wit, had we lost the Revolution, I seriously doubt that a portrait of George Washington would hang anywhere in London. However, I do find Lee to be an interesting and honorable individual, so it's fairly tragic that he should lose his status by wagng war against the American government. One of my favorite stories of Lee is when he dressed down a faculty member at Washington University, where he was the president of the college, for speaking badly about Ulysses S. Grant because he had been so appreciative of Grant's magnanimity at Appomattox.

Myself, I am not a Southerner and am quite satisfied with my Midwesterner identity. However, I have lived in the South for a long time and have quite an affinity and, I feel, an understanding of the area. In my opinion, I think the identity of Southerness, as I noted above, created through the Confederate flag is destructive or, maybe better, distracting. There's a great Southern cultural footprint out there that is too often blurred or ignored because of that association. So, in my opinion, those that use the flag to represent their Southern identity, especially the state governments that try and pattern their flags on the Confederate representations, should ditch them and create a different Southern identity that highlights those cultural contributions.

I mean, hell, think of music, for one. How would our music landscape sound without rock, soul, r&b, blues, jazz and country music? Sounds awful. That single area of music has far more, infinitely more, contributions to the country, check that, world, than some stupid ass flag that represents some mythical concept from 150 years ago.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I honestly and truly believe there was not a person who less wanted to fight that war more than Lee, but his since of duty to Virginia is the sole reason he did.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Grant was the only reason Lee and others didn't hang.

I think if it came to it, Grant would have seized control of the federal government

4. CardinalVol

Finebaum discussing this today, taking calls.

What could possibly go wrong?

5. CardinalVol

This is glorious. Glorious!

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

they even switch the battle flag with the stars & bars on occasion. give em credit.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Good thread. Lots of quality posts.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im here as well.

9. Beechervol

I enjoy reading about Lee and Jackson.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

As do I.

I'm reading, "Lee, The Last Years" now, and enjoy it. It's got the minutiae I tend to like in reading about historical figures. Particularly those of the Civil War.

There's always a single question that stays at the forefront of my mind when studying a person of historical significance - as Chris Matthews puts it: "What was he really like?"

Lee is one of the more fascinating people I've studied, albeit sporadically. So is Grant.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Is there a sensible case for keeping the flag?

If so, I'd love to hear it.

12. CardinalVol

In all honesty, I've always thought it looked pretty cool.

Also, it was on the roof of the General Lee.

13. Beechervol

I have a book on Jackson by James I. Robertson Jr.

I recommend.

14. Beechervol

At least.

15. CardinalVol

Actually, now that I ponder these two sentences together, the more I think I now understand my own feelings towards the flag.

Carry on' gents.

16. Beechervol

I think a lot of ignorant people picture those guys as blood thirsty, warmongers that were not human.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There were 3 national flags, 2 of which had the bars. Tennessee incorporates part of the 3rd into its state flag.

But I agree with the point, just not the history.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Gen Lee was badass...and is exactly why I enter and exit through the windows of my 4Runner. Is a pain in the ass, but you can't tell me I don't look cool as ****.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

On display under glass as an historic item, possibly. Flying it? Hell no.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Museum setting, areed...I have no objection there.