Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

And wtf Cuonzo just got a 50k raise? Really?

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sounds promising

4. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

My thoughts, exactly.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Serious question, as I know nothing about bball recruiting - how many Top 10 / players has Tennessee signed, say, in the last 25 years or so? What about the #1 kid in any class? Again, I really have no idea.

I'm asking, simply because while kids in the Top 150 sound great, but I wonder if we have to consistently get Top 20 kids if we're ever going to compete for championships. Obviously, you'd always prefer a kid who was the 3rd best prospect over the 133rd, and understandkng that anything can happen once they get on campus / in the tourney, so some unknown exists.

But given all of that, all things being equal, what would you guys estimate to be the targeted average ranking of players that you'd think would allow you to at least be in the national championship discussion, say, once every 4-5 years? Top 10? Top 50? Top 150?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Ramar Smith was a top 5 guy with some services. Of course, it sounds like there may have been something shady going on to allow us to sign him.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Ramar was nowhere near that highly regarded.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Looks like Rivals had him #20 overall.

9. hatvol96

Which was too high. Look at the top 5 guys in that class. Ramar Smith should never be mentioned in the same breath.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You won't see me trying to validate the ranking. He looked more like a running back than a point guard.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Hopson and Harris were up there.

12. hatvol96

Ramar was a fantastic prospect. He was just too raw and too wedded to the streets to be a fantastic basketball player. The only way his story might have ended differently was if he played for a totally different type of coach. That's not a knock on Pearl. Ramar simply needed a tyrant who would have been on his every move on and off the court.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Dude could get to the basket at will. Couldn't shoot a lick, but he could get to the hoop.

14. hatvol96

Cofer is having a really, really good summer.

15. hatvol96

UT has offered Ray Kasongo and Devin Mitchell says he will be in for an official visit the weekend of the South Carolina game.

16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Like sleeping with a guidance counselor to get grades changed...

17. He is announcing today at 4. Jerry Meyer predicted that he would be committing to Tennessee.

18. hatvol96

UT made Looney's latest cut, along with Duke, Florida, Michigan State, UCLA, and Wisconsin.

19. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Dang, this is turning into a nice class.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Larry Austin commits. That's a nice, nice pickup